Home Sports Talk

What hitters did you really enjoy watching.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

So some guys come to the plate and it's like ho-hum, just another at bat. Other guys would come
to the plate and people would get on the edge of their seats.

Which guys did you get "excited" to watch hit. These guys just had something about them that got
some extra special attention from you.

For me it was..............

1- George Brett
2- Will Clark
3- Manny Ramirez
4- Dave Kingman
5- Gene Tenace

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

Never knew how or where they were going to put the ball into play, but knew they surely would.

Also liked watching Vlad Guerrero, he was a trip every time.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Schmidt for sure.

From the OP list - Dave Kingman was fun to watch.

If I had to choose an all time great that i would have enjoyed watching the most, it would be Ty Cobb.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric Davis
    Darryl Strawberry

Wait, are we talking hitting baseballs or something else?

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 2:58PM

Ichiro
    Ken Griffey jr
    Jim Edmonds
    Johnny Damon
    Albert Pujols
    Miguel tejada

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa. I’ve never been glued to ESPN than during that awesome HR chase for 62 between Sosa & McGwire. Then when Bonds was hitting them out at a lightning pace. For my Red Sox itvwas always Manny Ramirez

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 4:27PM

Pete Rose
    Reggie Jackson
    Mickey Mantle
    Stan the Man

In my haste I left out Willie Mays

@perkdog said:
    Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa. I’ve never been glued to ESPN than during that awesome HR chase for 62 between Sosa & McGwire. Then when Bonds was hitting them out at a lightning pace. For my Red Sox itvwas always Manny Ramirez

You just named 3 of the biggest PED users ever. They have NO credibility whatsoever!

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

You just named 3 of the biggest PED users ever. They have NO credibility whatsoever!

My guess is that they're all dead within ten years, due to PED use.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Grote

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Rice :#

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

I think I've heard of him, but I can't recall his uniform number.

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willie Stargell and George Brett.
    Loved Stargells' routine at the plate pre pitch, waving the bat, then the hitch, don't
    even really know what to call it but they weren't practice swings. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

Had to be some number 1 thru 99. That's as good a guess as any.

edited September 28, 2018 7:24PM

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Wasn't Grote average at best??

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

15 is correct.

Grote was not much of a hitter but was one of the best defensive catchers in baseball.

Johnny Bench one said, “If Jerry Grote were a Cincinnati Red, I would have been a third baseman."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Wasn't Grote average at best??

:o

That's the one thing you never say to Tim.

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

15 is correct.

Grote was not much of a hitter but was one of the best defensive catchers in baseball.

Johnny Bench one said, “If Jerry Grote were a Cincinnati Red, I would have been a third baseman."

In my opinion, the Mets don't win the 1969 World Series if Jerry Grote wasn't the catcher.

The 1969 World Series was the most phenomenal World Series I ever saw. Anyone can google it to read the full story of the Mets rise from being an expansion team in 1962, with the most season losses of all time in the modern era, to a World Series winner just seven years later.

Many baseball fans may already know the basic story. But what they may not know is that the Mets just a year earlier in 1968, had a record of 73–89 and finished a dismal 9th in the National League. So it was quite a surprise when they captured the National League pennant in 1969.

The Baltimore Orioles were heavy favorites to win the 1969 WS. When the Orioles won the first game, "everyone" said it was all over...except for die hard Mets fans.

Well, the Mets then proceeded to win four straight games from the Orioles.

Amazing.

A> @DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

And I couldn’t care less about their PED use, the OP asked a question and I answered it. I like what I like and don’t care about the popular opinion

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

Its in his name steve it wasn't a guess :D

How do they calculate the players credibility score?

If its anything like WAR , what is it good for?

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

Its in his name steve it wasn't a guess :D

And all this time I thought that number 15 meant the amount of baseball cards that Tim has of Jerry Grote.

Well that answers the question i was always wondering about as to why after all these years his collection wasn't growing.

@bronco2078 said:

Exactly, all it’s good for is to let guys like Dallas and markj think they are smarter than everyone else

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killebrew. Even his pop-ups were impressive!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I would say for a short period Bo Jackson was pretty fun to watch, just because something
    amazing could happen. It rarely did, it was usually a strikeout, but the possibility of seeing a
    tape measure home run was there every time he stepped up to the plate.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Wasn't he average at best??> @grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

was it 15?

15 is correct.

You know Johnny Bench wasn't serious......just paying a compliment.

@Darin said:
    I would say for a short period Bo Jackson was pretty fun to watch, just because something
    amazing could happen. It rarely did, it was usually a strikeout, but the possibility of seeing a
    tape measure home run was there every time he stepped up to the plate.

Watching Bo break a bat was entertaining. LOL

https://youtu.be/pHsAjzPVKJE

One more: Bo Breaks Bat

https://youtu.be/IxiGyqIO6Ew?t=11

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

Never knew how or where they were going to put the ball into play, but knew they surely would.

Carew was the best. looked like he should have hit .650 career.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Jim Rice :#

I was, in all seriousness, going to say Rice. My favorite player ever.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I saw what you did there."War" by Edwin Starr "War, what is it good for,absolutely nothing"

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked to watch Lou Brock and Rickey Henderson get a hit. When they got on base I enjoyed the cat and mouse game with the pitcher when trying to steal bases.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Coinstartled said:

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

Watching Carew hit was not exciting. He was very good at bunting and blooping the ball over the shortstops head.

Boggs was a little more entertaining, but not much, neither player hit the ball very hard.

Vlad was an exciting hitter!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

Watching Carew hit was not exciting. He was very good at bunting and blooping the ball over the shortstops head.

Boggs was a little more entertaining, but not much, neither player hit the ball very hard.

Bond's should have been a real thrill for you then!

@Coinstartled said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

Bond's should have been a real thrill for you then!

No. He was a fine ballplayer before he bulked up, but I don't like the juicers. McGwire hit them more frequently, but he was a cheater too.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Brett
    Parker
    Bonds

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

question wasn't about exciting, more about who we enjoyed watching. I enjoyed watching players who would put the ball in play with intent to "hit 'em where they ain't" just to get on base and help out the team. Plus, Vlad was like a box of chocolates.

Ricky Henderson was expert at getting to second base.

@Barndog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Barndog said:
    Rod Carew
    Wade Boggs

question wasn't about exciting, more about who we enjoyed watching. I enjoyed watching players who would put the ball in play with intent to "hit 'em where they ain't" just to get on base and help out the team. Plus, Vlad was like a box of chocolates.

You are correct, exciting is my word. As a Twins fan, my opinion is that Carew was wonderful at hitting them where they aint, I enjoyed Killebrew's ability to hit them out of the park more. Both great hitters.

Actually, it was about exciting. From the OP- , Which guys did you get "excited" to watch hit.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could list a bunch that have already been listed here, mostly sweet swinging leftys...Straw, Will, Bonds, etc.

I'll add two. As a youngster I loved watching Ben Oglivie. Violent swing. I witnessed a 3 HR game from him at County Stadium. I also really enjoyed Kirby Puckett as well...RIP.

Jeff

edited October 1, 2018 11:13AM

Not a tremendous hitter, but Dick McAuliffe had a great stance.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Not a tremendous hitter, but Dick McAuliffe had a great stance.

Craig Counsell's was better

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hank, Mantle, Boog, Rose and Bo Jackson.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle...the latter especially in Fenway.

• Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Nomar Garciaparra in the late 90's. Hit .357 and then .372 with power. Didn't strike out a lot. Had that great compact swing. It seemed as if it was impossible for him not to hit it hard.

Then he got hurt all the time. Its a shame we didn't see him healthy longer.

Fred Lynn...sweet swing, took the league by storm his rookie year, and loved the way he played CF(and who cares what his defensive WAR Is because it is wrong!!!).

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Like it or not, they got people watching the games again after the strike.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Jerry Grote

Jerry Grote was no Duffy Dyer.

But to keep it topical, I always enjoyed watching Rod Carew hit back in the day. I remember hearing he used to hit coke bottle caps with a broom handle or something like that growing up in Panama.

Daniel
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved to watch
    Frank Thomas
    Griffey
    Brett
    Mcgwire
    Canseco

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.