Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

TPG and "Rough Cut Edges"

I guess I must be unique, or at least in a minority of collectors. In my humble opinion, a card with "rough cut" edges should never grade Mint or Gem Mint. They should cap out at NrMnt(7) or NrMnt-Mnt(8). This type of flaw is one of the most "obvious" and completely detracts from eye appeal. IMO, its highly inconsistent for a TPG to emphasize "eye appeal" and then go and ignore a flaw that is so glaring and detracts so much from it.

So what is the "philosophy" behind this? The justification, or theory? Why are rough cut edges ignored by all three TPG's? It makes no sense to me, so what is the reason? Anyone?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people really like the rough cuts. It's not my cup of tea but who am I do judge?

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Factory cuts.

Hockey collectors actually favor them because there are so many sheet cut cards from the sets.

I have some OPC wrestling and I can't figure out how to determine what a good rough cut looks like.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vintage OPC hockey is better with an evenly distributed rough cut all the way around. It is an expected perceived appearance, and straight edges in high grade create suspicion of sheet cutting.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like opc baseball and love the rough cut edges. I am suspicious of any vintage opc without rough edges

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish they were consistent in application. Some sets, most notably older OPC, there's no penalty, and other sets where it is less common, but still a frequent occurrence, get penalized for rough cuts.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I like opc baseball and love the rough cut edges. I am suspicious of any vintage opc without rough edges

Agree with this. A card can be gem mint with a factory rough cut. You just have to learn to appreciate the beauty of the card in its original state.

For OPC, where rough cut is the norm, that's what you want to see.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

I don't know enough about the rough cut production to have a very informed opinion on it, but I don't understand how someone can differentiate the "rough cut" from actual wear on the edges, is it easy to tell the difference?

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:
    I don't know enough about the rough cut production to have a very informed opinion on it, but I don't understand how someone can differentiate the "rough cut" from actual wear on the edges, is it easy to tell the difference?

Yes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.