Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Duhhhh - coming clean on my ignorance

Growing up collecting from the mid 70's and on, I always new the year of a card by looking at the stats (1 year later than the most recent stats). So, i was momentarilt confused when reading the back of the 1967 Carew rookie card when it mentioned that he was in a tight batting race with Kaline through the first couple months of 1967? What? How could they have predicted that? Oh yeah, now I see the perk of issuing cards in series.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

My confession - I didn't know there were series when I was a kid. I'm talking 50s.

Mike
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Consider yourself cleansed.

• Options

Does anyone remember exactly when the different series were issued back then? Did Series 1 come out around Opening Day or a few weeks before? How long until Series 2 was issued, etc.? Some sets back then had 7 series in a 6 month season, so I assume the 7th series was issued shortly before the end of the regular season? There were no playoffs until 1969, only the World Series, so no real time to issue the last series during the postseason.

We all know the story about the '52 Topps high number cases being dumped in the Atlantic Ocean because the series was issued too late and no one bought it... I assume Topps didn't make that mistake again.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

You can be saved. Go in peace my son. :)

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I only know what I have read about the '71 Topps. Apparently the 5th and 6th series were issued after football had started which is one of the reasons those series are more difficult. All the grocery stores wanted to stock the football cards and not the baseball cards. Nothing I have read stated specific dates for the releases.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topps may have dumped more cases than just the '52 Hi#'s.
    The dumping stopped when Larry Fritsch started buying the
    leftovers in the 60's. The biggest reason we even know about
    the 52's is Mickey. Many of the Mantles before Mr.Mints find
    were coming from Canada. At least that was the story we heard
    in the early 80's.