Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Jack Dempsey - Boxing - Allen & Ginter 1888

I collect vintage boxing cards. How can Jack Dempsey be included in the 1888 Allen & Ginter set when he wasn’t born until 1895? Any feedback/comments are appreciated.

Comments

• "When most collectors see the name Jack Dempsey, they associate it with being the later more popular boxer from the 1920s. But there were actually two Jack Dempseys in the sport and the first one can be found in the earlier N28 set.

Nicknamed ‘nonpareil’, he was one of the sports most dominant fighters with 51 victories against only four losses."

LINK: https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/early-allen-ginter-sports-cards/

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick response, article, and clarification.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, memories. When I got to work on the Dempsey player registry 11 years ago they actually had both fighters cards included in the latter's set. I had to explain why a bunch of 19th century cards didn't belong. The good old days.

Arthur

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Ah, memories. When I got to work on the Dempsey player registry 11 years ago they actually had both fighters cards included in the latter's set. I had to explain why a bunch of 19th century cards didn't belong. The good old days.

Arthur

Agreed. Some people confuse the two Joe Walcotts too. Occasionally, it happens with Joe Gans as well.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's like 22 Young Corbetts. I guess it was common practice to take up a fighting name in homage.

Arthur