Home Q & A Forum

Real CC Morgan Silver Dollar?

I am not sure if real?? The color gold coming through the silver is what? Correct weight and passes magnet test. Thanks

Comments

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Just toning. Looks legit

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is a counterfeit. Note how "fatty the letters are."

@Insider2 said:
    The coin is a counterfeit. Note how "fatty the letters are."

Well, I just lost money....I'm still learning.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2018 1:41PM

look in the corner of the wing and neck, does it have a gap? its not real

for what it is worth it is not the worse I have seen. If you look at the UN you also will see some lump balls slightly raised but the most significant is the edge teeth are off. I am no expert either and I would say most have been past at least one.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Is this made of silver as well?

• Thanks for all the input! These photos are from an ebay auction I was looking into by a seller who doesn't specialize in selling coins so was hoping for a deal on my first CC (very new to numismatics). Sounds like a solid pass then.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 1879-CC in that condition would be north of $1000. You are extremely unlikely to find a “deal” on one. Also, anyone holding the coin like that and referring to a magnet test should not be trusted.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you bought on ebay you should be able to get your money back. To me it doesn't look like silver either.

Collector, occasional seller

• MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Plated brass?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a contemporary counterfeit it has some degree of value, but no where near a legit one.

Agree that seller's reference to a magnet test is a bit suspicious. What person not involved in coins would check with a magnet? Steel fakes from China are a newer invention...

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can do better, go to a local coin shop, see and learn about real Morgans. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52