Options
4 1812 Bust Halves Need help with attribution
All 8s look the same when I look too long. Overdates are there or not.
0
All 8s look the same when I look too long. Overdates are there or not.
Comments
O.105, O.107, O.103, O.105.
Instead of focusing on date numerals pay more attention to how the reverse letters line up with the scroll letters; the relative position of T/I is a big one. Where does the scroll begin and end relative to the letters in USofA? I like to compare the position of the first U in UM to the O in OF.
Look at the 5 in the denomination relative to the arrow feathers and talons above it. How close is the arrowhead to the second A in AMERICA?
On the obverse look at star spacing and orientation. Also, where does star 7 point, relative to Liberty's curl/cap/headband. Star 13 and the lower curl? If denticles are bold you can check out where individual stars point relative to them.
Always look for big, easy stuff first. Die breaks or engraver blunders. Double denticles. Common clashing (which can be a little tricky because dies were routinely lapped to remove clash marks).
Of course you also need good references like Overton's book or some of the online CBH websites.
Lance.
Thank you, Lance. I appreciate the help. I was hoping for a 101. I was offered the large date overdate. In PCGS plastic, I think. Graded Good. I will confirm before I buy. Not sure what a lowly Good is worth with a hole or without. Prices I see are $1700 but catalogs don't buy or sell. Which is rarer or scarcer, a 5+ or a 5-?
5+ is scarcer
BHNC #203
Holy cow Lance you are good at your attributions! lol