Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Don Mattingly 1984 Donruss

I've been noticing this card has been rising significantly in price over the past year. I'm not saying that this card will be the top card of the 80's (Henderson PSA 10) but is it possible that this card can pass the '82 Ripken Traded as far as value and demand. It appears its on its way.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a way to go towards being the top Mattingly rookie.

Alex Relyea

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2018 6:18PM

Love all his 84s— yet that Donruss was THE card back then. Very few candy stores in NYC back then carried Donruss. Was pretty much all Topps. As a result, few kids had the Donruss, which gave it a certain mystique. That card is one of a few images that will always immediately pop into mind when I think of baseball cards.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don is buying them up.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yet that Donruss was THE card back then

Around 1991 or so, I thought I remember reading that the Matty card was responsible for "launching" the rookie card craze in the hobby?

Mike
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the Donruss version.. how does the 84 Topps and 84 O-Pee-chee compare to the donruss version in collectability ?.. i have those two

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two cards I remember starting the Rookie Card
    craze were Joe Charboneau and Fernando Valenzuela.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    I don't have the Donruss version.. how does the 84 Topps and 84 O-Pee-chee compare to the donruss version in collectability ?.. i have those two

'84 Donruss is the most valuable Mattingly rookie card.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

@slimies said:

1984 Topps Tiffany??

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2018 6:01AM

I don't have VCP but the card was definitely selling in the $700+ range five years ago or so and then dipped to the mid $400's and I see is back consistently above the $700+ range. Interesting to see the volatility in prices and nice to see them go back up.

It looks like the Ripken is finally coming back down to earth but I doubt the Mattingly gets up to $1,300+.

Edit: I see Ripken's barely clearing a grand in many cases. WOW they have been cut in half. Definitely a closer scenario than I realized.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@Stingray said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@slimies said:

1984 Topps Tiffany??

In terms of Donruss/Topps/Fleer. The Tiffany card isn’t considered a mainstream issue.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Interesting to see the 1984 Donruss Mattingly and the 1982 Ripken Traded going in different directions. The Ripken is a lot more affordable now. I remember when it was selling for 2k. Perhaps this is a good time to pick-up the Ripken.

Both cards are iconic 80s RCs.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2018 11:41AM

the 84 topps i have the is regular , I dont have the tiffany version, i got the topps and o-pee-chee from value village with other mattingly cards in a binder that was for Mattingly but i cant find info on the binder or the other cards

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most popular non-HOFer?

Arthur

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    The most popular non-HOFer?

Arthur

Pete Rose or Thurman Munson.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    the 84 topps i have the is regular , I dont have the tiffany version, i got the topps and o-pee-chee from value village with other mattingly cards in a binder that was for Mattingly but i cant find info on the binder or the other cards

I have that same book. I got it new from book orders when I was in elementary school. Probably around 88 or 89.

You can find them for sell pretty readily.

https://ebay.com/itm/1988-DON-MATTINGLY-Talking-Card-20-Card-Limited-Edition-Set-W-Story-in-Book/302832673075?hash=item46823be133:g:sIsAAOSwFT9bZzTW

I haven't tried to research more about it than that. I used to keep my Mattingly collection in it when I was young, but then I realized the pages are not acid free. I only keep the original cards that came with the set in there now.

Kris

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

thankyou i couldnt find much about them. i picked the binder up for $4 at value village its got those cards plus others. it also held the 1984 topps mattingly and o-pee-chee cards too. i moved them to holders.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another popular player, at least in my book, who is not
    in the Hall of Fame would be Dale Murphy. Truly a Class Act.