Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Pope John Paul II Medal

Hello everyone and thank you for adding me. I have this medal or coin from 1979 that I have never been able to find.

Has anyone see one like this before ?

Tagged:

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2018 7:05AM

It's a privately produced Polish medal commemorating JPII's first visit to Poland after he was elected Pope. JPII was naturally popular in Poland so there's a number of these sorts of medals floating around. Unfortunately the the standard catalogs that have been produced of the last few years end with JP I (or at least I don't have one that's later). So except for "official" medals (ie those produced by the Vatican or under its approval/direction) one would have to search the I/N for specifics about this issue. The "WZP" at the top of the reverse may provide a hint to the manufacturer.

FWIW, here's a link to a medal for the same event that seems to be more "official" being struck at the Rome mint.

http://www.vaticancoins.com/medal/812/John_Paul_II_1979_Trip_to_Poland_Silver_Medal/

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this medal nickel or aluminum? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@theste1234 That is a very nice looking medal. Please update if you find any attribution.

Thanks for sharing!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2018 6:19AM

@STLNATS I just looked at that link. It is very informative. I will look at it later in depth. Thanks