Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Christian Yelich in the discussion for MVP?

DarinDarin Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2018 7:29PM in Sports Talk

I look at a lot of Brewers box scores since Moose and Lorenzo Cain play for them now, it seems like
Yelich is always getting big hits.
Looks like he hit for the cycle tonight against the Reds. Hitting .318 , 31 HR, 93 RBI.
Doesn't get much attention but is a huge component of that Brewers lineup.
I still think Betts or J.D. Martinez will get MVP, but certainly Yelich should be deserving of some votes.

Edited to add: Forgot Brewers are no longer in the AL, maybe Yelich does have a shot at NL MVP.
I think Baez, catcher for the Cubs, will be a strong NL MVP candidate.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely.

Tonight was actually the second time in past month he hit for the cycle. He also did it back on August 29. Terrific blend of power and speed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Definitely.

Tonight was actually the second time in past month he hit for the cycle. He also did it back on August 29. Terrific blend of power and speed.

Didn't realize it was the second time he did it in a month. He's turning into an outstanding hitter.
    And I made a mistake in my post saying Baez was a catcher. Still an MVP candidate, although his
    OBP is pretty low.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

First time in baseball history for 2 cycles in 1 season against the same team.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2018 7:44AM

I don't know that I've ever seen this in a box score, and did I see it correctly? He went 0 for 0, with >> 5 << walks.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    I don't know that I've ever seen this in a box score, and did I see it correctly? He went 0 for 0, with >> 5 << walks.

And scored the only 2 runs of the game.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Cards learned their lesson the night before. They walked Cain to pitch to Yelich. Hit the first pitch for a 3 run homer to straight away center. The next night he never got a pitch to swing at.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he had not already done so, I think he has just salted it away tonight. Two more HRs and three more RBIs.

Currently at .324 (1st NL), 36 HR (T 1st NL) and 109 RBIs (2nd NL, Baez 111).

Triple crown possibilities.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    If he had not already done so, I think he has just salted it away tonight. Two more HRs and three more RBIs.

Currently at .324 (1st NL), 36 HR (T 1st NL) and 109 RBIs (2nd NL, Baez 111).

Triple crown possibilities.

He certainly helped his cause with y'day's performance. It's a tough call, but he's certainly in the middle of the MVP race.

• Options

Never mind, Christian Yelichs' bat answered my question. LOL.

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 5:30PM

He certainly outperformed Baez today head to head in 163 when it mattered most. Factoring in that MVP voting excludes post season performance, I think he's a lock now. The last thing voters will remember is Baez going 1for4 w/ 2k and Yelich going 3for4 w/ an RBI for the win.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely in the discussion for MVP.

Daniel
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

He is the MVP

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable