Home Q & A Forum
Options

Possible Penny Whimsy Prototype Book?

My father was an avid collector of US Large Cents and somewhere along the way he acquired this binder with photos and classifications of many many large cents, from 1793 - 1857. There are also hand written notes on classifications and types.
Here are a bunch of pictures of what it is. Does anyone out there have any information on this ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to your question depends a lot on WHO YOUR FATHER IS! So....

• Options

My father was no one special. Bought, sold, and collected large cents for decades

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, without a name that can be connected to Sheldon, we'll never know what you have.

Best Regards

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the notes on coins and images of coins were out together as a reference by your father. Do these images match any coins that you have in your father's collection? I think the CU group can be more helpful if you could post a few clear close images, obv and rev, of a few of those early cents. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

The notes and images were in the binder when my father got it. I will take some more photos and post them later.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Well, without a name that can be connected to Sheldon, we'll never know what you have.

Best Regards

Maybe the handwriting could be recognized?

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

The set of four plates (sixth image if I counted correctly) is from Tom Elder's 1917 sale of the Miller large/half cents, obviously very pre-Sheldon. NNP link. Can't help with the rest, yet.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)