Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Beloved PCGS Old Green Holder (OGH) Passed Approximately 20-Years Ago This Month

TomBTomB Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a historian of TPG holders and slab generations, but I have been around the hobby-industry continuously for the last quarter century or so and I’ve noticed quite a few changes. One change has been in the acceptance and/or later rejection of various TPGs, the generations of holders used and the standards employed to grade coins (and to determine problem coins) over time. Another change has been the much later creation of a formal, though not universally accepted, process to review grades and determinations on already certified coinage.

Over time, the previously ubiquitous OGH went from the holder du jour at PCGS, to recently phased out, to somewhat appreciated and now to pursued or, with some, near-rabidly hunted. The coins grouped under the OGH umbrella are generally separated from the rattler era, but within the OGH grouping there are at least four distinct subtypes that can be readily distinguished from one another. This is not meant as a holder generation article since one of those has already been produced privately and more recently PCGS has started their own page to record their holders. Rather, this is more of an homage to a retired holder style that brings back fond memories of a time when grading standards were a little different, when what one might expect to find on the bourse would not be the same as today and when the market definitely had a different feel to it.
The rattler holder used until late 1989 followed by the four distinct OGH slabs used from late 1989 through the fall of 1998 (green label without PCGS on the front, doily label, dot matrix printing style and then the most commonly found OGH with smoother printing font)-

I purchased a raw Columbian half dollar at the Parsippany, NJ show on September 6, 1998 (I keep meticulous records) and submitted the coin shortly thereafter to PCGS for grading. At that time I had never seen one of the new blue insert holders and when I received the coin back from PCGS in mid-October, 1998 I was stunned to notice the dramatic color change and overall layout change for the holder. I brought the coin to the November, 1998 Parsippany, NJ show and walked it around to other dealers only to receive the same reaction from them in that no one had seen this new holder previously. Recall that in late 1998 the internet was not the all encompassing behemoth that it is today and that information about coins was not nearly so well shared. Additionally, ebay was only a tiny fraction of what it is today and I can recall going through all the US coin listings on ebay within a few hours during this time period. Therefore, announcements and images would not be on everyone’s radar.

I had high hopes for that Columbian half dollar because the reverse was just so dang nice. Alas, it only graded MS64 and, even after holding it for twenty-years, I would lose money on the coin if I were to sell it today at bid. Below is an image of the coin-

Over the years it was at first somewhat comical to read descriptions of coins in OGHs as somehow being more desirable or worth more than other coins. It was probably a full three-or four-years after the change that I realized there was something more to this “fad” than marketing, or at least the marketing had much better staying power than previously anticipated. For those of you who missed the entire OGH era, who were there and wish you still owned more OGH coins or who snicker at the entire slab generation obsession, please feel free to add information to better nail down the date of transition from the venerable OGH to the more modern blue insert holders.

Anyway, let's see some OGH coins!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those old holders. Bought as many as I could afford until the money ran dry! :(

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would not have to sell THAT Columbian at bid. When I started a real collection only ogh and rattler holders existed and old timers called them coin coffins, but they saved me from some bad screw ups.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a dozen small cents in OGH's, seven bust halves, and two commems. Three IHC's in rattlers, and one Morgan doily. But I never took slab photos (so I won't post the cropped images here; it would add nothing).

I'll have to make it a practice to shoot the slab. It's a little extra work because I have to use a shorter macro lens in order to capture the whole slab. But you've reminded me, @TomB , how fun they can be. Thanks for the informative post. And thanks for returning to the forum!
    Lance.

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Great stuff, Tom. I don't currently own a single OGH, but, I have to admit I am drawn to them. Not sure if it's age, nostalgia, or color contrast. Either way, I still find them to be the best look for a TPG coin

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a slab history on this web site. Dates, photos everything.

• This content has been removed.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

How sad !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    1988 to 2018 is 30 years

He said 1998.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom - That is a beautiful Columbian!

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post tome and a super columbian to.

photo DSCN6734c.jpg

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like those old rattler .... my box of 20 can actually accommodate almost 30 slabs ;)
    Mine are mostly contain Peace dollars.

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭

I remember the first time I saw the new pcgs blue holders at a show in the late 90s so 1998 sounds about right. I had a lot of free time back then so I was going to both ANA Shows and Central states every year. The blue holders looked pretty cool at the time and really stood out against all of the green holders at the shows. All things being equal I think lustrous white silver coins look better in the blue holders.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018 8:49PM

Fun read! Nice examples posted too...and all are very pretty. The Columbian sure looks gem+.

I collect primarily OGH, and if not OGH then OBH, and if I can’t have OBH then I’d prefer pre-prong. I find that if I buy new slabs I invariably trade out of them into something older.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh for the grading of OGH yore. I have sets of highest grade coins with mostly OGH put together over 20 years ago that haven't seen the light of day since. To me that is good news and bad news. Good news, I have a lot of really nice coins that haven't been to market in many years that would get a lot of attention when they do surface. Bad news, apparently I have to get them all regraded, reslabbed, photoed, and maybe beaned, before they are worthy in the current market. A lot of time, effort, and money. Shouldn't be that way.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

You folks have real heart "remembering the old green holder" Sincerely

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the OGH and remember when they were current.
    I have a few:

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ZsmartieZsmartie Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Here are a few from my collection. I am one that is attracted to the OGH.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 5:15PM

^^^^That is a beautiful 2.5 proof @coinlieutenant ^^^^

I don't have but a few OGHs. This Morgan is one in my collection. They say these aren't very accurate for DMPL designations anymore.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few OGH and rattler holders and do seek them out when possible because I collect copper mostly and it's a safer bet that copper coins in a holder that old is stable. Sadly like another member I never had pics taken of the entire holder only the coin itself so no pics available to share.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great coins in this thread. Historically, I believe that PCGS and I agreed at the highest percentage on the dot matrix style OGH (around 1991 into 1994).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file