Home Q & A Forum
Options

Double headed Indian Head??

I bought this Double Headed Indian Head in a “Lot” of coins! Assuming this is a fake but I figured I would ask what you might know about this... see pictures.

Comments

• Options

Wow that’s pretty crazy. Never seen one before not even in my friends collections.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 3:22PM

It really has to be a fake (two obverses fitted together) but who knows for sure unless it is examined closely to uncover the seam (either at the edge or inside the rim on one side or the other). Of course, it could be a struck counterfeit made in China, bit this coin has some old wear to it.

What is that crud above the portrait on the 2nd pic? Is that solder?

Anyway, very cool coin even if fake.

• Options
    Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure what that is... I will take a better picture and let you know

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

In for later

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read an article about this novelty. Guess it was done as a goof and for the fun of it although could have been for cheating. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

• Options

Looks like th edge has a split and put back together? Magician coin maybe? The grey mark Lois to me metal or something showing through

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seam at the edge is your answer.

Generally a magicians coin has a way to turn one coin into another (coin comes apart, turned around, etc.). This looks to be a two headed novelty coin.

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, this is not two genuine coins put together. Indian cents are not made of "white metal." This appears to be an electrotype. There is a discussion about these in the US Forum.