Home Precious Metals
Options

Hurricane Florence has me thinking...

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m nowhere near the path of this beast, but I’ve been recently thinking about what if I needed to evacuate. It would be so much easier to pack a couple of PCGS boxes full of graded gold, than the boat anchor boxes of silver I have. It would almost be easier to hide it in the upper level of my home in water tight bins and roll the dice that it remains when I return. I love silver, but this storm has me thinking about converting some silver to gold.
Thoughts and prayers to any of our fellow members in the path of Florence.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many have thought of this , it is a true dilemma. :smile:
    I need to give it some more thought.
    If you believe you will be returning it would be possible somehow to 'hurricane proof' a silver stash. :smile:
    I must think.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Great post, by the way :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your house blows or floats away your stash will become a Treasure find for some future treasure hunter.

If it didn't get looted before then,,,,,, I would never leave it. JMHO,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we're going to need a bigger boat

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

The storm looks rough from here. Thoughts go out to our fellow countrymen.

Maybe one box of non graded gold would be fine for a bug out backpack. One could have several oz of gold in flips ruberbanded together in your front pocket and nobody would know.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great comments fellas. Seriously, pray for those folks in the low lying areas. I moved from beach elevation up to 260 ft+ inland a bit. I sleep alot better.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 7:48PM

I condensed my stuff a few years back
    2/3 boxs of 20, and all the bars are in the bank in the top row of the vault
    Moved to FLA 2 years ago and road out 2 storms , aint for the faint hearted thats for sure
    Be safe ppl

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I went through this very situation a couple of years ago for 2...yes 2 consecutive years. We had flooded severely and I lost my house. I rebuilt my home from the ground up, right when I finished about 4 months later,we had another flood. Thankfully, it didnt get me this time but it was very close. Both times, I brought every ounce of pms I owned. Albeit, my stack is nowhere near the likes of some of you guys on here. 2005 Hurricane Katrina devastated us and a few years later...Hurricane Rita devastated us. I know what they are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with them

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 6:26AM

Something we all need to consider. Good luck and keep safe !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some folks only buy as much silver bullion as they can carry by themselves in a large box in one trip, then put additional PM money into denser assets, such as gold, platinum, and rare numismatic coins. A full Dansco 7070 type set album with gold can be worth $20k and looks and carries like a slightly heavy book or photo album.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Interesting approach :smile:

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting conundrum for Silver stackers. I should add that converting Silver-->Gold does not appeal to me because I exclusively stack silver for future parabolic industry potentials that only apply to Ag.

FYI: 48 SAE tubes fit perfectly in a 50 cal ammo box.
    ...and if I need to flee I can strap it my wife's back. "get goin girl" "Heyaa".

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hoard silver or gold bullion, but lots of places around here were flooded to the point of people having to leave their homes. Some looting did occur . If I had not been on higher ground, I would have carried my coins with me period.

tell you this, my bank where my sdb is located was closed for an entire week due to the flood. however coins were not there either during this time. !!!( I would not have been able to get to them))

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

...when life is more important than material things, I pray. Thanks for the reminder, because "our" people are affected.