Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would you think of this bidder?

Got pushed up by a bidder a few days ago on an auction ending today. Didn't re-up my bid and nobody else has bid. He's still high bidder. I checked out this bidder's profile and this is what I get:

30 Day summary:

Total Bids - 512
Total Items - 396

Percent of bids with this seller - 53%

You think this is a legit bidder or a shill? FWIW, the seller of the item I bid on does vintage set breaks frequently, but that seems like an awfully high percentage of bids to go with one seller given how many bids he has placed in 30 days.

Any opinions?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options

Thanks. I thought it was possible with a seller like that, but still wondered if I was getting shilled. The bidder is probably legit then if 50-80% isn't uncommon with that type of seller.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I do find intriguing?

I don't think I make 512 bids on eBay in 2 yrs?

Mike
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

53% is nothing, especially if it's a big time seller. I'm probably 80%+ with PWCC.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    53% is nothing, especially if it's a big time seller. I'm probably 80%+ with PWCC.

Wow, I am curious. I know their big items go well above vcp {per their ad's in smr}; but how about their avg items? I mean all 10-15k can't sell for record #'s every month. The reason I ask is because if about 80% of your bids are with them I thought you might be able to offer some insight.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a certain set most of the time, and I don't have the time to constantly look through garbage to find what I'm looking for. With them I know the time frame that a large number of that set's cards are ending, so I can maximize my time spent looking. The stuff I'm looking for is also fairly common so it isn't hard to still get decent deals.

• Options

Well, the card ended up selling for WAY more than I was willing to pay with many others bidding on it, so my fear was unfounded there. Learning experience, though.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 7:21AM

People still bid during auctions and don't just snipe them?

Arthur

ETA: I think with someone that does case breaks 53% isn't unusual. If you're into case breaks (and I imagine they're addicting) and you find someone you trust, you stick with them.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    People still bid during auctions and don't just snipe them?

See the last couple pages of the 72T BB thread in the Set Registry forum, some people enjoy getting punished. As a seller, I love seeing early bids.

• Options

Every auction I have ever won, I placed my bid days in advanced. No matter how many times I read a discussion about sniping, I come away shaking my head. If you are willing to pay the highest price and place the highest bid, it doesn't matter when you place it. If I want a card, I just bid higher than I know anyone is going to bid. I always get the card. Always. If I "low bid" a card, I lose it many time because someone else will pay $1 more than my already "low" bid. This isn't really that complicated imo. Sigh....

• Options

Ok, I see where you are coming from.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur nailed that one on the head.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I set my snipes, and check back when it’s over.

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Then you're doing it wrong! :smile:

I think I already bid over 100 times TODAY

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

On top of all of this, is there one positive from bidding early as opposed to sniping?

Arthur

Yes - it shows up in My eBay feed once I've bid. That way I can easily decide what I'm still in on or out of as all the auctions progress. Then I can either set my top or look to snipe later.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    On top of all of this, is there one positive from bidding early as opposed to sniping?

Arthur

'Error: Item cannot be added, Watch List is full' is pretty much my only reason, and then it's just a min bid until I get around to setting a snipe. On popular/high demand items, I'll agree with the early bidders, it doesn't matter when you bid. I'm sure I've saved plenty of money on more obscure stuff by sniping instead of bidding early and drawing more attention to an auction though.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bounce said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Yes - it shows up in My eBay feed once I've bid. That way I can easily decide what I'm still in on or out of as all the auctions progress. Then I can either set my top or look to snipe later.

Wow!

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bounce said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

So, basically, what your watch list is for?

Arthur

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone can bid how they want. I will never understand some of these techniques..

Watch list is to watch, why bid on it and draw attention? Sometimes I think watching something is too much attention put on the item. Just know what you want to pay, set the snipe and move on. Nothing more needed.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Every auction I have ever won, I placed my bid days in advanced. No matter how many times I read a discussion about sniping, I come away shaking my head. If you are willing to pay the highest price and place the highest bid, it doesn't matter when you place it. If I want a card, I just bid higher than I know anyone is going to bid. I always get the card. Always. If I "low bid" a card, I lose it many time because someone else will pay $1 more than my already "low" bid. This isn't really that complicated imo. Sigh....

Jimmy, it's the psychology of auction bidding. People will determine a price they're willing to pay and enter that bid. If they're the only bidder all week and they're winning, they're feeling secure in their bid and leave it alone. If, however, an hour after they place their bid, they get outbid, the process of justification begins. First they're just discouraged because they're not going to get the item they thought they would win. Then, as a day or two passes, they begin to find reasons to justify why they could actually bid higher on the item than they originally planned. Maybe they just won't bid on this other item. Maybe they'll sell a card to cover the extra dough. There's a cornucopia of reasons one can come up with if one really wants the item. The point is, because they got outbid with 6 days to go, they had time to do all of this.

People also get wrapped up in the competition of auction bidding and allow emotions to get into it. They bid to win, not to acquire an item at a reasonable price. Again, all of that is possible when you're bidding with days to go. None of it is possible when they get outbid with 5 seconds left in the auction.

Arthur

Agree 100%

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

One thing to keep in mind is that % is from the past month. It is not the entire history of the account.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

When the sniping debate comes up, I always prefer to look at it this way: If you were selling something, whether it be a baseball card on ebay or a classic car at Mecum's, would you prefer that everyone in the world knew what the highest bid was, or would you prefer that it was a "sealed" or "silent" auction where everyone just submitted their highest bid and the person with the highest bid won? I know what my choice would be.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

bidding prematurely in an auction is the equivalent of telling a hold 'em dealer you'd like your cards face up

sure, you may still win, but in doing so you're potentially introducing a host of avoidable complications that may prohibit you from getting max value

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@bounce said:

@Stone193 said:

Then you're doing it wrong! :smile:

I think I already bid over 100 times TODAY

With all due respect, this type of bidding is a Shillers fantasy.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    When the sniping debate comes up, I always prefer to look at it this way: If you were selling something, whether it be a baseball card on ebay or a classic car at Mecum's, would you prefer that everyone in the world knew what the highest bid was, or would you prefer that it was a "sealed" or "silent" auction where everyone just submitted their highest bid and the person with the highest bid won? I know what my choice would be.

Right, but there is a big difference between a live Mecum auction and an internet auction with a "time limit". The entire "time limit auction" concept is what created sniping. There is no such thing in a live auction.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 6:26PM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@detroitfan2 said:

Right, but there is a big difference between a live Mecum auction and an internet auction with a "time limit". The entire "time limit auction" concept is what created sniping. There is no such thing in a live auction.

The time limit aspect is an interesting part of the discussion. At this point, I am stunned that eBay hasn't gone to an "end time plus 10 minutes after the last bid has been placed" auction style. This would eliminate sniping altogether and auctions prices would be maximized, making both sellers and eBay happier.

That being said, the time limit aspect adds credibility to the pro-sniping argument. If Mecum switched to a sealed bid or silent auction with an end time, do you think the sellers would be happy?

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Got pushed up by a bidder a few days ago on an auction ending today. Didn't re-up my bid and nobody else has bid. He's still high bidder. I checked out this bidder's profile and this is what I get:

30 Day summary:

Total Bids - 512
    Total Items - 396

Percent of bids with this seller - 53%

You think this is a legit bidder or a shill? FWIW, the seller of the item I bid on does vintage set breaks frequently, but that seems like an awfully high percentage of bids to go with one seller given how many bids he has placed in 30 days

was it probstein or pwcc?

some people win a high percentage of bids when they want the card

53 percent is kinda low

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Legend's online auctions (coins) if a bid is received in the last five minutes, the time is extended. It rarely extends the entire auction as much as ten minutes.

A big reason sniping exists is because eBay allows retractions.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    In Legend's online auctions (coins) if a bid is received in the last five minutes, the time is extended. It rarely extends the entire auction as much as ten minutes.

A big reason sniping exists is because eBay allows retractions.

Agree completely. Retractions are the problem.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Yep, agree retractions are a major part of the problem.

Anybody remember this barn burner of a thread on sniping vs. early bidding?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/982004/1965-frank-robinson-psa-10-pop-1-1-in-pwcc-auction/p1

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    Yep, agree retractions are a major part of the problem.

Anybody remember this barn burner of a thread on sniping vs. early bidding?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/982004/1965-frank-robinson-psa-10-pop-1-1-in-pwcc-auction/p1

I remember that. That's one of the best threads I have seen in my short time here. Dpeck's post on page 4/quoted at the top of page 5 sums up my entire position on bidding, fwiw.