Options

The Top 10 Modern Coins Potentially Better Value than the 2018 Palladium Issue

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2018 7:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What we know about the Palladium Issue:

• Mintage 15,000
  • Household Limit 1
  • Sold Out Within Minutes
  • Currently trading at $2,000 raw, $3,000 for graded 70s (I expect both of these numbers to fluctuate, but they are current as of this weekend)

It makes me think about other modern U.S. issues that are better than the Palladium issue, so I'm inviting everyone to add their picks.

I'll start with one - the 2015-W Platinum issue that can be bought for less than $3,000. Mintage 4,000. Also sold out very quickly and had a household limit of 1 (or was it 2?).

Edited: Modern for this purpose: 1986 to present. And looking at in 2-3 years time.

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

What's the time frame?

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I meant time horizon for appreciation

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 8:45AM

I would have to go with the State HALF program. Many of those are way up, Add in Some of the ATB Hockey pucks and a few of the FOIA struck at ASE. That is if your looking at market vs price paid.

It was 1 per household and they oversold it so by tomorrow some of the orders will get canceled.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 7:10AM

Modern crap ain't cheap (coming out of the chute) . That is; if you're looking for a moral to the story.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

2014 Platinum Proof
    2009 UHR Gold

...two that come to mind

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 7:58AM

-2017-W Burnished Gold Eagle comes to mine.

If by percentage, the original 2017-S Silver Proof Eagle raw coin (Congratulation Set) worth mentioning at 300% issue price ...that's liked getting $4200 for your raw palladium coin!

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

2008 gold Buffalo Sets For collectibility, beauty and value.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

2001 Buffalo silver has done pretty well.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    I would have to go with the State HALF program. Many of those are way up, Add in Some of the ATB Hockey pucks and a few of the FOIA struck at ASE. That is if your looking at market vs price paid.

It was 1 per household and they oversold it so by tomorrow some of the orders will get canceled.

I don't think they oversold the palladiums. They would not offer them for sale in the mornings of Sept 7, 8, and 10th.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018 10:12AM

Some appreciation in the 2009 uhr gold but it has dropped considerably from its highs.

I believe the issue price towards the end of sales was $1489 because gold spiked a lot that year. I bought it when it was around $1100 in the beginning of 2009. Raws are getting closer to $1600 now. So you did ok if you bought the coin early in 2009. Not so good if you bought later in 2009. The spread between 69s and 70s has decreased from 1k to about $200- $300 today. That is a big drop. The 115K mintage does not help this coin in the long run.

I agree the 2008 gold buffalo fractionals are still doing well. The 1/10s have always held steady at around $500 raw. That is good for over a 10 year period. The mint was contemplating bringing back the gold fractionals. These might help the 2008s in the long run if the mintages stay higher than the 2008s. The 2008W 1 oz took a beating when the 2015 came in at a lower mintage than the 2008W Gold Buffalo.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Ian for your analysis on the issue. I would think that rarity or availability of the issue, aesthetic appeal, well recognized iconic characteristics and other selling points would factor in. Clearly the market makers know what works and what doesn't.

• Options

Some more underrated series in my opinion are the $5 gold commems - recent issues.

Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will second the current five dollar gold commemorative series. They are much lower mintage even the original gold series (which has a high survival rate)

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 3:28AM

Yes the 2015 Platinum PR at 4000 and the Boys Town UNC at 2947 are just crazy low! Although people didn't like them, the Hags have 11 UNC's under 2K and six proofs under 2500...

• Options

Boy's Town - great example. I don't know why people didn't like that issue.

Ian Russell
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    Boy's Town - great example. I don't know why people didn't like that issue.

Just my thoughts on this issue.
    The obverse of the $5 looks like something from 1940...ugh. We've had too many portrait coins already.
    The obverse of the half, while trying to be inspiring, is just kind of creepy. It looks like the kids are entering a cemetery, and the reverse, is just horrible. It reminds me for some reason of the 3c "Those Immortal Chaplains" stamp...can't recall the Scott#.
    The reverse of the dollar if it were moved to the obverse would have been a smash.
    The obverse screams out "trying WAY too hard to be PC".
    Just my .02

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are too many too count ;)

• Options

I agree with the past couple of posters. The asthetics suck on the boys town.
    And the hags are just the Hags. No need to comment much on those. Plenty has been said.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:

@Kkathyl said:

I don't think they oversold the palladiums. They would not offer them for sale in the mornings of Sept 7, 8, and 10th.

I am confused because the US mint for sure oversold the Palladium they took in 22K orders and had only 15K to fill. I have a friend who had an order# they deducted out of paypal and the mint just tolds her sorry we are sending you a refund. Why? oversold at the Mint!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Good info, Kathy, that will help value.

• Options

Until you have these in your hand, they are not yours. Once you do, and once I do, beauty will rule.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Mine showed up today but I have a Ozarks puck in the box with it. Trying to decide if I should keep the box sealed and sell it now or go ahead and open it and send it in for grading. Looks like they are selling around $2200 raw on eBay right now.

• Options

Even if you open the box it is still first-strike eligible if you send it off quickly.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

With production limited to 15,000, all of them are "first stricken."

• Options

Not if this late ordering of the issue at 7:30 AM gets drawn out.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I think the 2016 100-gram Titanium and Europium issue will remain a favorite at just $4,500.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about last year's Palladium? Wouldn't that make the list?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1995 W ASE proof - it was free w the gold proof set.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file