Options
Odd Indian Cent....Error?
Filled dies, just plain wear or very bad counterfeit?
The only thing I'm sure of is it's not an 1877, which is where it was optimistically located in an old Whitman folder before I liberated it for a buck.


Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
0
Comments
Please read the slab label (?) and let all of us know. Thanks!
No slab. Raw.
Not an error coin PMD do not ask me how tho as I do not know.
Please, take a guess as to how?
The way I look at it is, I have to explain just how an error happened at the mint. I can not explain this one so IMO it is PMD.
Many times I can not explain what someone did to get an effect outside of the mint.
The coin does not feel right.
The coin was probably put to some non-monetary use in which it repeatedly came in contact with a rotating object (or the coin itself rotated due to the machine? vibration.)
I agree with @ErrorsOnCoins .
It is not an error.
Maybe in a body of flowing water with lots of small stones? Peace Roy
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
I would guess not from normal circulation wear... has rather high rims for that amount of weakness in design. Perhaps struck through lots of grease? Would have to have been on both sides of die. Always a little difficult to tell from photos, but I do not see any signs of abrasion type of wear?
I agree with the above – it’s not an error – unusual wear pattern or something similar it’s not just a field die – that should say filled die– What we see on both sides occurred after the coin was already in circulation, Imo
I think this guy owned it.
Hoard the keys.
Wear from circulation is all.
bob
Not likely, but maybe a slim chance it was originally in an encasement. Some encased coins show damaged rims, but if this was somehow encased without that telltale sign, then the encasement might have protected the rims as the coin got worn from being carried.
Just idle speculation.....
That's what I was thinking. There were IHCs in "Lucky Penny" holders that were put on chains and worn as jewelry. I'll see if I can find a link.
Edited to add... Google Pan American exposition
Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
I don't have mine handy but I have one - 1901 in a horseshoe shaped frame.
it looks worn out to me as well. just saying
Encasement cent would make sense... metal encasement would 'protect' the outer rim areas, and allow more wear in the center.