Home Sports Talk

Is Serena a Cheat?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Ump a thief?

https://youtu.be/uiBrForlj-k

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think her being in that Nike ad may have jinxed her.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ump is a moron.

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 12:42AM

I didn't know kaepernick played ladies tennis

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    The ump is a moron.

Rocky Roe would have tossed her is less than 5 seconds.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, a few things:

1) Her coach admitted he coached her in an interview with Pam Shriver.

2) Serena denied getting any coaching - remember her coach admitted he was coaching - and she can be seen looking over at him twice right before the violation was called.

3) The umpire let her say her piece once without any further penalties but she left, came back, and went at him again. At that point, he basically had no choice but to issue the code violation.

Serena has no one to blame here but herself. Don't wanna be labeled a cheat? Don't cheat. Don't wanna get penalized a game for 3 code violations? Don't commit 3 code violations.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody lies everybody cheats. That’s sports teams, people, business, government, police, and so on and so on. In other words Serena isn’t the only one

@perkdog said:
    Everybody lies everybody cheats. That’s sports teams, people, business, government, police, and so on and so on. In other words Serena isn’t the only one

It will be interesting as sports wagering expands.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only difference between convicts and everyday citizens is the citizens have not yet been caught???

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    The only difference between convicts and everyday citizens is the citizens have not yet been caught???

Not to that extreme Ralph, but in some cases yes.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the NFL or NBA the good refs swallow their whistle at the end of the game unless theres an obvious foul/penalty. Serena was whiny, but at 4-3, a game penalty for being a brat is BS. All the ref did was the unintended consequence of diminishing the other players victory.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Well, a few things:

2) Serena denied getting any coaching - remember her coach admitted he was coaching - and she can be seen looking over at him twice right before the violation was called.

3) The umpire let her say her piece once without any further penalties but she left, came back, and went at him again. At that point, he basically had no choice but to issue the code violation.

Serena has no one to blame here but herself. Don't wanna be labeled a cheat? Don't cheat. Don't wanna get penalized a game for 3 code violations? Don't commit 3 code violations.

I agree with Tabe here, but will say I have seen McInroe(sp) get away with a lot more. Also at the awards on court I thought it was in bad taste for the guy to ask Serena about the calls. Serena handled it well and tried not to ruin the victory for the other girl.

Besides I don't think it mattered because Serena was getting her lunch handed to her anyway.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/08/did-serena-cheat-in-open-final/

Did Serena Williams cheat in U.S. Open final?

.....Williams objected right away, saying she would never cheat. After the match ended, in an interview with ESPN, Williams’ coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, acknowledged he had tried to signal Williams, but said he didn’t think she had seen him — and added that he thinks every player gets coaching during matches.

So then technically the correct answer is "Yes"

Doesn't matter if Williams saw the signals or not, as far as the initial penalty is concerned.

Seems to me that the chair umpire properly enforced the rules.

Didn't matter anyway as far as the match results. Williams was bound to lose that match. At the point when the arguing began, Williams knew that Osaka had her beat.

Frankly, i think that Williams did much of that arguing on purpose. As stated, she knew Osaka had her beat, and Williams was hoping by arguing that it would pump up her adrenaline level to make her play better, and possibly Osaka would cool off and maybe not play as well. It didn't work.

@stevek said:
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/08/did-serena-cheat-in-open-final/

Did Serena Williams cheat in U.S. Open final?

.....Williams objected right away, saying she would never cheat. After the match ended, in an interview with ESPN, Williams’ coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, acknowledged he had tried to signal Williams, but said he didn’t think she had seen him — and added that he thinks every player gets coaching during matches.

So then technically the correct answer is "Yes"

Doesn't matter if Williams saw the signals or not, as far as the initial penalty is concerned.

Seems to me that the chair umpire properly enforced the rules.

Didn't matter anyway as far as the match results. Williams was bound to lose that match. At the point when the arguing began, Williams knew that Osaka had her beat.

Frankly, i think that Williams did much of that arguing on purpose. As stated, she knew Osaka had her beat, and Williams was hoping by arguing that it would pump up her adrenaline level to make her play better, and possibly Osaka would cool off and maybe not play as well. It didn't work.

I agree Steve and to add to my post above.......Osaka was hitting the ball VERY well! My wife said she hopes that all the "stuff" that happened doesn't take away from the win for Osaka. I said that the check for 3+M will ease the pain. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:
    Well, a few things:

I agree with Tabe here, but will say I have seen McInroe(sp) get away with a lot more. Also at the awards on court I thought it was in bad taste for the guy to ask Serena about the calls. Serena handled it well and tried not to ruin the victory for the other girl.

Besides I don't think it mattered because Serena was getting her lunch handed to her anyway.

I hate that when somebody beats me to the idea. :s

;)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every NFL team today is going to receive a bunch of code violations for getting coaching during the game.
    Pick the over on every game and you'll rake in the cash.

Tennis no coaching during the match? Whhhaaattt?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Every NFL team today is going to receive a bunch of code violations for getting coaching during the game.
    Pick the over on every game and you'll rake in the cash.

Tennis no coaching during the match? Whhhaaattt?

Well... that's the way the game is intended to be played apparently. An individual vs. another individual.

Give it enough time and it'll probably change. Maybe. Or not. Idk.

I don't know why it is against the rules either. Plus they say everybody does it. Do away with that stupid rule.

Like I said before Serena was getting her arse kicked anyway. Not a match changer.

Does anyone know if its allowed in golf? They all have coaches, I wonder if the coaches
    are allowed to give tips or advice during a round.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Crushing the racquet should have brought a DQ.

I don't watch tennis so I don't know...just keeping busy while the kneelers dominate the airwaves.

@Coinstartled said:

I don't watch tennis so I don't know...just keeping busy while the kneelers dominate the airwaves.

Why should you get a Dairy Queen for crushing your racquet??

@DIMEMAN I think he meant "disqualification." But now I want a peanut buster parfait.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Why should you get a Dairy Queen for crushing your racquet??

I may have to watch NFL now if this is the fallback. :|

@mt_msla said:
    @DIMEMAN I think he meant "disqualification." But now I want a peanut buster parfait.

;)

The NFL has been known to have murderers and wife beaters etc. in its ranks for a while now,
    but only kneeling drove you away?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited September 9, 2018 12:12PM

@Darin said:
    The NFL has been known to have murderers and wife beaters etc. in its ranks for a while now,
    but only kneeling drove you away?

First it was the replays then the pink attire, dreadlocks and endless tats. The touchdowns that were called off because the receiver didn't say pretty please, then the penalties for doing what defensive players are supposed to do, tackle the ball carrier.

Gamblers/fantasy players are the last thread holding the league together, and the NFL will undoubtedly screw that up by embracing the bookmakers.

In 5 years cheerleaders will be holding Yahrzeit candles.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I used to coach women's tennis in college. Coaching was not allowed during match play.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serena denied looking at her coach but then said she had looked at him (saying it was just a thumbs up). Video shows her looking at him. He admitted coaching her.

It's a no-brainer code violation.

I wouldn't like to be the police officer giving Serena Williams a ticket for speeding.

I can see it now, her yelling at the cop, screaming "I didn't look at the speedometer, it's not my fault."

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I wouldn't like to be the police officer giving Serena Williams a ticket for speeding.

I can see it now, her yelling at the cop, screaming "I didn't look at the speedometer, it's not my fault."

I agree....

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Sad to see that people are attacking Osaki on social media, when she did nothing wrong.

Serena fined 17 grand.

@garnettstyle said:
    Sad to see that people are attacking Osaki on social media, when she did nothing wrong.

Serena fined 17 grand.

She could auction the smashed tennis racket on Ebay and perhaps get her 17 grand back.

i'm almost not kidding.

Brought professional tennis to a new set of eyes. On the full weekend of football no less.

Brilliance.

This years U.S. Open had a record attendance of over 700,000.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Does anyone know if its allowed in golf? They all have coaches, I wonder if the coaches
    are allowed to give tips or advice during a round.

I know you're not allowed to have training devices on the course during the round, but don't believe there's anything explicitly in the rules about coaching. The caddies entire job outside of lugging the bag is basically coaching (club/shot selection, reading putts, etc.).

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 12:42AM

My wife is attending a CEO conference in Vegas this week where Serena is a paid speaker. Serena is playing in a table tennis tourney as part of the deal. My wife’s company provided the paddles logoed of course. I told her she better make extra just in case Serena loses her $hit and takes it out on the paddle. She had 12 made. I hope to get one signed. When I floated that idea I got the ole eye roll. Hopefully I’ll get pics at least

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    My wife is attending a CEO conference in Vegas this week where Serena is a paid speaker. Serena is playing in a table tennis tourney as part of the deal. My wife’s company provided the paddles logoed of course. I told her she better make extra just in case Serena loses her $hit and takes it out on the paddle. She had 12 made. I hope to get one signed. When I floated that idea I got the ole eye roll. Hopefully I’ll get pics at least

m

If Serena loses her $hit, she might also take out the ping pong table. LOL

Yea I literally would probably not want to fight her lol

edited September 13, 2018 2:37AM

@Justacommeman said:

m

Volunteer to ref the event, Mark

edited September 13, 2018 4:34AM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Volunteer to ref the event, Mark

At your own risk! ;)B)

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

That's sad. I was taught two wrongs don't make a right. To me saying everybody cheats is just an excuse and I dislike when people make excuses. It's not that hard to play by the rules and be successful.

@larryallen73 said:

@perkdog said:

That's sad. I was taught two wrongs don't make a right. To me saying everybody cheats is just an excuse and I dislike when people make excuses. It's not that hard to play by the rules and be successful.

Serena certainly doesn't need to cheat to win. The reason she lost points and a game is her actions. And the bottom line is she was going to lose this match anyway and that's probably why she did what she did. She was just being out played that day.

edited September 13, 2018 11:07AM

@larryallen73 said:

@perkdog said:

I was taught the same thing, I just live in reality, Personally I don’t cheat and try not to lie especially when it comes to integrity. My main point was in Sports, teams cheat, with the government it’s all lies