Home Q & A Forum
Options

1914 lincoln lamination obverse & reverse

Hello, I am new to all this. But been reading alot, and looking up sold auctions on ebay. My questions are: the 1914D lincoln cent in a high grade, is selling for thousands of dollars because of the grade? I did read it is a key date, and I am assuming because of the mint as well?? I have a 1914 lincoln cent that has alot of wear (and I am still confused by grading and learning that aspect).

It has what looks like a crack on the back and crease? on the front. Is this a lamination error ?

is it worth 1000s or .02?

can you tell me anything i am missing or not understanding? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination error.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google to learn about Lincoln cents. Try the Lincoln cent resource site and others. Nice find with lamination problems in both sides. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condition (and mint mark) means everything.

I agree that yours looks to be a lamination error, but it appears to be heavily cleaned and very worn.

Not worth much but a great learning tool.

• Options

Thank you all. And thanks for the tip on resource. I do use google, regularly. But could not find anything about the 1914 and double lamination.

Appreciate your help.

• Options

also, what are your thoughts on this site? http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php?page=60 or is this site only for die varieties?? There is ALOT to learn.. Classes.. errors, VAMs RPM's.. abc's 123's..heh.. being a 57 year old (YOUNG) female, not sure if my attention span can sustain.. lol. got a ton of coins to research. ;/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justlearning said:
    being a 57 year old (YOUNG) female, not sure if my attention span can sustain.. lol. got a ton of coins to research. ;/

Believe me, this hobby needs more 57 year old females (or females of any age), so please stick with it.

There is a lot to learn, but once you grasp the basics it will be less about memorization and more about judgment.

Not sure on sites - others can weigh in. If you aren't getting much response here, post a thread on the US Coins forum - that gets a lot more action.

I also hear people recommend www.varietyvista.com a lot but so far I have not used it myself.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin has obverse and reverse lamination errors.
    However, as others have said, it is low grade and has been harshly cleaned (hence the bright red unnatural shine).
    Might be worth a buck or two as a curiosity.
    Keep looking and try not to become overwhelmed

There is a lot to learn.
    Take little bites....and don't go back to the buffet until you have finished your plate.
    I have been doing this for half a century and I am still learning.

• Options

You are never too old to exercise that brain. maybe focus on one denomination, variety, year. Save every site you find using the Google. After you check them out trash the ones that don't have relevance. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Just a question...... if the coin was in better shape would it be an eye opener then?

• Options

But it's not, all coins are interesting IMO. The hunt continues. Peace Roy