Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Collecting the 1955 Parkhurst hockey set

I've been collecting the 1955 Parkhurst set for over ten years now. I've been fortunate enough to be 5th on the active registry. https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/company-sets/1955-56-parkhurst/publishedset/46394

I also have developed close friendships with others working on the set. None more than my friend Paul, who has the finest set on the registry. As with many collectors, he doesn't spend a ton of time scanning and uploading cards to the registry. I've always made it a priority to upload images for a couple of reasons. First, I like looking at my set no matter where I might be. Second, I like sharing the cards I have with other interested collectors.

I had been bugging my friend to show off his cards on the registry, and he always said I should do it for him. So this summer he brought his set to me and I scanned his cards. We also did a joint review based on the best cards from our sets. It scored him three upgrades and one for me, so it all worked out. I really liked seeing some of the best 55's in the hobby in hand, and he liked having someone scan his collection.

Here is his amazing set: https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/company-sets/1955-56-parkhurst/publishedset/13280

This hobby is about $$ and investment sometimes, but it can also be about fun and friendship. I'm always happy to help when I can, and its cool that we can trust one another to build and share our collections. Whether its joint submissions, trust in payment for cards, or all sorts of other favors we do for one another, its good to know I'm a part of a good community.

-Nathanael

Take a look at this beauty...

Comments

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

One of the toughest sets in all sports. over 6,000 submissions and only 28 PSA9's and no 10's.

• Thanks for doing that Nathaniel, I've been wanting to see Paul's 55s or 6-7 years now... Such a great set... Still waiting for that elusive PSA 9 Plante to surface.

DesertIceSports.Com

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

I've been fortunate enough to hit 5 of the 28 PSA 9s from this set. 4 on raw submissions and the Babe Siebert on a review. It was like Christmas morning each time I hit a 9. They really are nearly impossible from this issue. PSA is very liberal with their N1 designation on raw cards from 1955 Parkhurst.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange that only one of the PSA 9s is in the top set.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Amazing set. I bought a Beliveau (8) 18 years ago and it remains one of my most favorite cards.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomi- I sometimes think about this set from a baseball perspective. 1955 and Parkhurst was the only significant NHL set for the year. Most of the cards only have between 10-15 PSA 8's. The most is Tom Johnson with 25 I believe. Imagine how insane the competition would be if this was a baseball set.

PaulMaul- The 1955 registry crowd hasn't been filled with many guys with unlimited pockets. Even those with unlimited pockets can't usually persuade the registry guys to give up their 8's. Up until the most recent changes to weight of 1/1 highest graded cards, there was very little incentive to pay $5000 plus for 1 or 2 weighted cards in the set. The new system certainly gives more incentive for top guys in the registry to pay through the nose for top of population rarities.

AANV- Incredible success with 55's. 5 of 28 is extremely impressive. Just this year I got my first 9, the Don Marshall, and couldn't quite believe it.

The last note is I'm always wanting to upgrade my set so if any of you happen upon 55's that are in high grade that you have no use for, you know who to message.

-Nathanael

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Tomi- I sometimes think about this set from a baseball perspective. 1955 and Parkhurst was the only significant NHL set for the year. Most of the cards only have between 10-15 PSA 8's. The most is Tom Johnson with 25 I believe. Imagine how insane the competition would be if this was a baseball set.

-Nathanael

Agreed, but the Quaker Oats version is also worth noting here too ;)

@1970s said:

@AANV said:
    I've been fortunate enough to hit 5 of the 28 PSA 9s from this set. 4 on raw submissions and the Babe Siebert on a review. It was like Christmas morning each time I hit a 9. They really are nearly impossible from this issue. PSA is very liberal with their N1 designation on raw cards from 1955 Parkhurst.

Did these all come from one find or set, or did you come across these over the years ?

11 years of patience with PSA and the odd monster hit

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that I’m a hockey guy but this is the only hockey set that comes close to ‘54 Topps in my opinion

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

51 Parkhurst?

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

From my perspective, it seems like the Quaker Oats version isn't collected as much as
    the regular issue.

Definitely true, but the sales prices for some of the bigger hits can get crazy sometimes. Though there are less people after them, the ones who are can be acutely competitive when a high grade green back comes up for auction. 1955 Quaker Oats vs. Parkhurst is sort of like OPC baseball vs. mainstream Topps baseball from the '60's-'80's in that way.

Going back to Nathaniel's point about being the only significant NHL set of the year, Q.A. vs. Parkhurst is not the same as having 2 unique sets though, not like 1950's baseball Topps vs. Bowman or something like that.

• From my perspective, it seems like the Quaker Oats version isn't collected as much as
    the regular issue.

One of the reasons for this is that the Quaker set is virtually impossible to complete, what with the three short prints.

DesertIceSports.Com

edited September 12, 2018 4:34PM

In Canada the Quaker Oats set is seen by some as a Quebec regional set. It's feels to me like a parallel issue. The fronts are no different than the regular Parkhurst fronts, and the backs don't contain as much information as the Parkhurst backs.

The three short printed cards (Lumley, Rocket Richard, and King Clancy) were to limit the amount of winners who could redeem prizes by sending Quaker the whole set for a redemption. Considering there were 79 cards to start with, and considering I can't imagine children buying puffed wheat, I'm not sure Parkhurst needed to challenge the kids further by making three SP's.

There are only a handful of each of the three known in the hobby. I'd love to own a Rocket Richard one day, but it isn't high on my list considering how pricey it is.

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

From my perspective, it seems like the Quaker Oats version isn't collected as much as
    the regular issue.

One of the reasons for this is that the Quaker set is virtually impossible to complete, what with the three short prints.

Reminds me of the 71 Bazooka panels and singles, everyone wants them but they just aren't there. Why even bother trying to complete a set that you know will hardly ever come up.

Quaker Oats front

Quaker Oats back

Parkhurst front

Parkhurst back

• @Tomi said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

the regular issue.

Reminds me of the 71 Bazooka panels and singles, everyone wants them but they just aren't there. Why even bother trying to complete a set that you know will hardly ever come up.

The difference is that ALL the Bazooka cards are rare, but only the three short printed Quakers are... the rest of the Quaker set isn't easy, but they're out there if you look for them.

By the way, I have a near-complete set of '71 Bazooka panels for sale if you're interested. :):):):)

DesertIceSports.Com

By the way, I have a near-complete set of '71 Bazooka panels for sale if you're interested. :):):):)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 7:12PM

@Tomi said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

What?? they're only $20,000... Just sell your house and you can buy them.

DesertIceSports.Com

@AANV said:

Add another 9 to the total population.

After my last four consecutive terrible PSA submissions, I hit a 1955 Ken Reardon in a 9 that I was not expecting. Almost makes up for 3 months of frustration.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for showing the 2 cards: PH and QA its nice o have the side by side.

That set is phenomenal. This issue is so tough even in higher grades.....the bottom red always has yellow bleed Thru

I am lucky enough o have the Duff in an 8.

The above comment is right on...if this were baseball prices would be 3X

Vintage HK is a bargain compared to BB.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Visually that set is a good compliment to the 54-55 Topps (IMHO, the most beautiful set in any sport - all Topps sets that year were well designed).