When did you first see a PSA slabbed sport card?

electrodeelectrode Posts: 82
edited September 6, 2018 6:29PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

I remember a seller at the Toronto's Hockey Card And Memorabilia Expo in the early nineties a dealer from the area named Harvey Goldfarb showed us some PSA graded cards they were so few that they were in a shoe box and it was a jaw dropping moment!

Tagged:

Comments

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

In 1996/1997. I was a kid and I stumbled into a NYC card shop and saw several graded 1993/1994 finest basketball refractors in the display case. I had no real understanding of what they were at that point,

Currently Collecting:

• Topps Gold Label Red Labels 1998-1999 FB, BB, HK
    • Baseball: Griffey Jr, Big Mac, Red Sox
    • Basketball: MJ, Barkley, Pippen, Bird
    • Football: Brady, Edgerrin James, Randy Moss
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Karlsson, Jagr, Eichel, Sabres
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up my first PSA graded card in 1992. I think it was Oscar Robertson?

I went to the National in Atlanta that year and met Mike Baker who gave me this "sample" PSA holder. On display that year was the PSA 8 graded Wagner card.

I also met Alan Hager - ASA grading company - who patented the Arrowhead holder that PSA adopted along with his 10 point grading system. He - also - gave me a sample holder.

Mike

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

Not sure of the year, early 90's, East Coast National, 1971 Roberto Clemente in PSA 9, I asked how much and he said 4, i said $400? he said $4000, I laughed for an hour as I walked away

• tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

These PSA sample cards have to be pretty darn rare. I have a 1988 Gary Thurman in a sample holder. These sample cards are truly a piece of PSA history. I would be interested to know how many are floating out there besides mine and yours Stone.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 3 Samples in my collection ...

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭

Not sure but it may be when I tripped over a stack of them in Bob's basement.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it was in 1994 at the Shriner's Auditorium show in Wilmington, Massachusetts. It was a 1971 Nolan Ryan O-Pee-Chee card that was graded a PSA 7OC.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Nolan Ryan Master Set ---- Nolan Ryan Topps Master Set
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Late 1996. There was a fellow Mattingly fan near Charleston I used to trade with / buy from. He had the basic rookies, Topps, Fleer, Donruss all in psa 9. PSA 9's were a big deal at that time also because so few cards had been sent for grading at that time. That's certainly changed :)

• 2012 when I started back into the hobby.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Would have been in the mid 90's. I scoffed at the time thinking "i don't need someone to tell me the grades of my cards" little did I know 20 years later how many psa cards i would own

• I first saw a PSA card in SCD around 1995/96 I believe. In early 1997 I discovered eBay and bought my first PSA card, which was a T207 PSA 7 common. I was hooked after that.