Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA...would there be any strategic disadvantage, if your 13th man,

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

were a woman?

Assuming that you are either a great, loaded team like Golden State and a crappy team like Phoenix. Assume that you sign a top WNBA player for a season.

13th player typically get a couple of minutes of cleanup time every few games. Can't see where #13 would have any real effect on a competitive game outcome. It would be a great PR move for the NBA as the NFL flounders.

Before responding, give me a moment to duck behind the sofa.

;)

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

An NBA team has drafted a female player before. I'm not sure a star WNBA player would want to sit at the end of the bench. She would want to compete. A journeywoman player may want the job and the pay raise.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google Anne Meyers.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Google Anne Meyers.

I recall the signing of a woman. Couldn't recall if was Meyer's or Cheryl Miller. Meyers never made the lineup.

• Options

@Brick said:
    An NBA team has drafted a female player before. I'm not sure a star WNBA player would want to sit at the end of the bench. She would want to compete. A journeywoman player may want the job and the pay raise.

Good point, Brick.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 6:48AM

Teams in the NBA only have 12 active players for each game not 13 also there would be a problem with the female player,who has used a woman's basketball her entire life,now using a larger basketball. That being said,I think there would be quite a few WNBA players over the years who can actually hang with the NBA players even though they don't have the athleticism & physicality that the men do. Lisa Leslie,Diana Taurasi,Sheryl Swoopes,Maya Moore & Sue Bird are just a handful off the top of my head. If you believe Reggie Miller,his sister Cheryl was a better shooter than him.
    Also the majority of WNBA players are more fundamentally sound on a basketball court with most playing 3-4 years in college at a top level program compared to players sitting at the end of an NBA bench who many are one year removed from high school.