Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1882 $50 National

This 1882 $50 dateback blasted off tonight on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-Ultra-Rare-50-Dollar-Chase-Bank-Of-New-York-National-Currency-In-About-EF-/153151261028?hash=item23a886c964:g:B~sAAOSw9elbf1hS&nma=true&si=%2BxovPXTKHy4BlTv%2BZlU8NB4kMx0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was thinking that the Fr. 563 was around a fine, with the edge tear. I checked the Kelly book which is usually high, and a bunch of HA results which put it around what it sold for. Is there anything special about the note?

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a more useful response - $50 1882 Date Backs are a very scarce type and denomination. According to the latest National Currency Foundation census, just 219 examples are reported for all National Banks in the country. About two dozen are listed for New York State, with most of those on the Chase National (the bank in the eBay auction). So, there's really no surprise for it to sell for what it did. Actually, it sold a bit cheap but was undoubtedly held down by its raw status - it doesn't look like the prettiest note and who knows what flaws would be found once you have it in your hand. I'm sure the next time it appears at auction, it will be in a slab. Hope that helps!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2018 6:18PM

@teddysmith1952 said:

@Timbuk3 said:

On the other side, these "post building" comments.......well.....................

Pot, meet kettle.

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals