Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEW MINT ERROR Belgique 1989 1F Coin Alignment - King Baudouin

My question to members is do you consider it worth having it graded and if so what is the likely end value?

The Royal Mint of Belgium say: "We can confirm that it is possible you have found a mint error for the 1989 1F Coin Alignment King Baudouin coin" (Error seems a possible technical error that can occur during a minting process' says Federal Public Service Finance | Treasury | Royal Mint of Belgium ).

The confirmed Mint errors:

Hard to see in these images, but the Kings name 'BAUDOUIN' who reigned as the fifth King of the Belgians, is virtually non exsistent with only BA ..... NI remaining unaffected in the legend. The lettering on the bottom quarter of legend BAUDOUINI apart from the bold type is just about visible. Just noticed the Kings name BAUDOUIN is referred to differently and shows on the coin as BAUDOUINI - will need to look at that, maybe the way they refer in Belgium? The rim is noticeably wider under the word 'Belgique' on the reverse due to the metal infill on the obverse. It has a mass of metal filling the rim from the letter 'B' to the letter 'U' in BELGIQUE which can be seen in the pictures.

I would appreciate your comments in due course, thanks!****

Comments

• Options

A few minutes research on the net shows BAUDOUIN (space) I as opposed to BAUDOUINI so thats part of the question resolved. Looking forward to members response in due course.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

We would like to see some clearer closeup images of the obv and rev. The angle shots are not doing it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some sort of problem with the planchet with either an irregular shaped planchet that didn’t take the strike well or maybe grease on the die and some obscured letters. Probably worth a few dollars at most. I can’t see it being much more valuable than that, errors like this are common. Would not recommend slabbing.

• Options

Thanks for your explanation Naps