Home Q & A Forum
Options

Restoration Services?

Does anyone know if the PCGS Restoration Sevice will be able to remove carbon spots from a Sacagawea Dollar?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a good trick! Do you have a photo?

• Options

Trix are for kids. I quit eating that stuff a long time ago.

Here is the 2000-D in a Millennial Package.

• Options

@Insider2 Sorry if I came across as rude. After reading that again I just figured I would mention that.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Not sure I'd call those carbon spots. Seem more like liquid spots. Not sure it matters either way in the end, though. Fir what it is worth, these might be easier to remove than what I think of as carbon spots.

• Options

Yeah those photos I took with the coins still sealed in the mint Packaging. Since the cellophane was broken on that set I went ahead and removed the coin from the package. I can put up some better photos here in a minute and maybe you can get a better look and tell me what you think it is.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, not carbon spots, but more like milk spots/stains. You can't remove them without changing the color of the surface of the coin, and it would cost you more to have it worked on than it is worth.

If someone could come up with a way to remove carbon spots, they could about pick where in the world they would like to live.

thefinn
  • Options

Still untouched, less the Mint. Here are the photos @thefinn @JBK Your opinion after seeing these photos is greatly appreciated thank you.

• Options

I really hope it's worth the $10 fee for them to take a look but you guys are the ones with more experience in this than I have.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't waste the money. Just buy a problem-free example. They aren't rare.

thefinn
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that coin left the mint as a ticking time bomb. Something liquid was sprayed across it that eventually created that spotting. Could be cleaning or rinsing agent, a sneeze, or who knows.

I don't know the value of these but unless I wanted to keep it as a reference item, I'd want to wash my hands of it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wjpmill said:
    @Insider2 Sorry if I came across as rude. After reading that again I just figured I would mention that.

No apology necessary - funny reply.

Getting those spots off would be a neat "trick." Looks like the surface under the spot is ruined. I agree w/the other member. Just get another coin.

• Options

It's too bad, would have been worth it. I know that if those spots are removed the surface will appear in the lighter where they were removed.