Home Q & A Forum
Options

Black quarter any ideas?

1980jasonmcdonald1980jasonmcdonald Posts: 3
edited August 30, 2018 5:39PM in Q & A Forum

Hi I'm new here. I wanted to show you guys this black quarter I got the other day. I dont know what happened to it but it looks cool. What do you think?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig up black, grey, brown and fugly clad quarters all the time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Dang I thought this was a little rare. Oh well.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just very heavy tarnish, toning.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coincidence. I just spent a PA quarter with the same coloring.

I've seen these occasionally. Just heavy tarnish or reaction from some contaminant. They do look cool though. I like the look.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a few days late. Just saw this. I like that quarter. Circulation cameo on clad state quarters always looks amazing and I try to save any I find.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone figures out how to make them look like this, let me know - I would love to color some coins.

I assume it is due to exposure from some sort of chemical, as there is no corrosion like you might see if it sat in water.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK I have an album going of circulation cameo coins , different denominations. A state quarter like this would fit right in. It's cool to see that look on all the different designs. I've noticed a lot of the state quarters pick up this look and retain it well.