Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

chopmark or just regular post mint damage?

This one looked cool so I took a flyer on it, but I don't know enough about chopmarked coins to tell if this is a real chop or generic damage. Opinions welcome
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-Mauritius-Silver-20-Cent-KM-11-1-Low-Grade-but-Scarce/123281362571

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO PMD.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I would call it a chop; it's pf too deliberate a design to be simple PMD to me. That said, it's unusual to see relief chops of such a small size, and the Mauritius pieces (all minors) are quite difficult to find with chops.

As a chop collector, I would have definitely sprung the $20 to get it in hand.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a chop to me. Similar to what Tleverage said, it's not the most common type of chopmark, but looks legit enough that I would have also gone for it. Nice pickup!

This the start of a new collection of chopmarked coins?

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this coin only briefly before sending it back home, where it belongs. It is most certainly a relief chop, and it looks glorious on such a tiny coin. Relief chop with (i think) ink.

This indeed has sparked an interest. I'm looking for a decent copy of the Rose book now.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going crazy. The only thing I see is the "H" that belongs on the coin. Where is the "Chop?"

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't all chopmarks PMD?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    Aren't all chopmarks PMD?

All chops are PMD, not all examples of PMD are chops.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I'm going crazy. The only thing I see is the "H" that belongs on the coin. Where is the "Chop?"

The link redirects you to an active listing, not the original coin. Here it is:

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 8:26PM

Thanks! I looked and looked. Neat chop of course. What a great deal for the op!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    I had this coin only briefly before sending it back home, where it belongs. It is most certainly a relief chop, and it looks glorious on such a tiny coin. Relief chop with (i think) ink.

This indeed has sparked an interest. I'm looking for a decent copy of the Rose book now.

If you sent it home to who I think you did, good for you!!

Be patient on the Rose book. You shouldn’t pay more than $20, ideally more like $10. Some sellers try to gouge on eBay.

The Gullberg book is really good and has much better pictures, I highly recommend, as well as joining the Chopmark Collectors Club.