Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What happens to all the Card Savers?

Are they melted down to make the slabs? Are they recycled or tossed in the land fill? All I know is they don't send them back to you. Does anyone have a guess or actual knowledge of what happens to them?

Comments

• Options

I've always wondered this too... I assume they throw them all away, but considering most of them are probably barely used, I think they should figure out a way to get them back in the hands of collectors/dealers so they can be used again... Not everyone would want a package of used Card Savers shipped back to them with their order, but I'm sure some would.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that the card savers get the stickers with the card information attached to them during the grading process. It wouldn't be in PSA's best interests to have them released to the wild.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    I've always wondered this too... I assume they throw them all away, but considering most of them are probably barely used, I think they should figure out a way to get them back in the hands of collectors/dealers so they can be used again... Not everyone would want a package of used Card Savers shipped back to them with their order, but I'm sure some would.

You have some really nice items on your website.

• Options

@coinspacks said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

You have some really nice items on your website.

Thanks!! :)

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wondered if they may just cut them to get the cards out using something similar to the safety envelope openers. Figure it reduces the chance of accidentally damaging the card and probably quicker too.

Welcome @Desert_Ice_Sports I've been eying the Tim Horton rookie you listed a few weeks back.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Hi Kevin - The Horton rookie is still there, and it's calling your name! :D

I don't think they cut the Card Savers; there would always be a possibility of cutting the card inside... To me, there isn't much danger of damaging the card while removing it from the Card Saver (they tend to slide out pretty easily, especially if they're also in penny sleeves, as PSA suggests) ... the danger is catching a corner when you're inserting it... I've done that more than once. :s

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options

They cut the cards out so that they aren't having to reach in and possibly damage the card. I think there is a video on their website that details the process.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    They cut the cards out so that they aren't having to reach in and possibly damage the card. I think there is a video on their website that details the process.

I think they only cut them out for cards that have successfully passed through the research dept. with qualifying spec data, and have graduated on to the grading portion of the sub order. I'm pretty sure all the stacks of N9's we get returned to us customers out here are being sent back in the same CS1's in which they were placed when subbing.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Oh, yea, good point about the stickers on the CS1's

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

They go into the recycle bin in the trash, same bin as the plastic bottles, etc. LOL

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Landfill for sure. That type of plastic isn't getting re-used or re-processed, especially with the stickers they put on them.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@saucywombat said:
    Landfill for sure. That type of plastic isn't getting re-used or re-processed, especially with the stickers they put on them.

I once read where it takes around 4,000 years for plastic to degrade in the environment.

It's good to know that our PSA slabs will last at least that long. :)

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    Card Saver (they tend to slide out pretty easily, especially if they're also in penny sleeves, as PSA suggests) ... the danger is catching a corner when you're inserting it... I've done that more than once. :s

I wouldn't recommend using penny sleeves with card savers. It could be why you've damaged a few corners even. I think they slide much easier without the friction of the sleeves. I would be curious what everyone else thinks.

No penny sleeve with Card Saver 1 or
    Penny sleeve with Card Saver 1?

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penny sleever here.

I always feel more comfortable getting a card to the bottom of the sleeve and then knowing that if there is any sort of soft bottom corner it won't be made worse when inserting it in the card saver.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 5:58PM

I don't use penny sleeves with card saver 1s - for cards from say 1990 and back. I also don't push the cards all the way down in the card saver 1, usually leave at least 1/2 inch or so of clearance so no extra pressure on corners. I open the card saver 1 all the way and then hold it open while I insert the card for minimum resistance / pressure on the card.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:
    Card Saver (they tend to slide out pretty easily, especially if they're also in penny sleeves, as PSA suggests) ... the danger is catching a corner when you're inserting it... I've done that more than once. :s

I wouldn't recommend using penny sleeves with card savers. It could be why you've damaged a few corners even. I think they slide much easier without the friction of the sleeves. I would be curious what everyone else thinks.

No penny sleeve with Card Saver 1 or
    Penny sleeve with Card Saver 1?

If you're going to use penny sleeves, be sure to pre-cut one side a bit along the side seam from the top, at least a quarter inch down if not further. This will remove most of the risk of corner damage when placing your cards inside them.