Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

tape and tape stains

What is the best way to remove tape and tape stains from a card? is it even possible? Also, if I grade them, is it a MK qualifier, or automatic PSA-1?....thanks for any insight.

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 7:56AM

I'm no expert on grading Pete but I would say if a card had tape residue?

It would get the ST qualifier along with the grade assessed based on its other attributes like corners, surface, registration.

Mike
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike...have an opportunity to pick up some 5-6ish vintage but all have tape/stains....if they just get a MK qualifier it makes them a lot more desirable to me...

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

...or ST qualifier...LOL...thx

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Tape stains often come with some paper loss. Even a tiny bit gets you a PSA1 in a hurry.

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

I can't remember if this card was submitted as a no qualifiers (I don't think it was), but it definitely didn't get a 1, and I don't think it is any higher than a 2 even without the stain.

• Options

Great info...thanks guys (anyone else?)....any way to remove tape/stains safely?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

As hinted above, a card with tape stains does not typically get a (ST) qualifier (shouldn't ever get a (MK) qualifier because if anything, it would be ST and not MK based on definition), though it does prevent being graded higher than a 2 or maybe 2.5 at the most if the tape remnant is minimal enough.

• Options

OK>...thanks again. So no way to remove/reduce the stain?....what about the best way to just get the tape off... (hopefully without paper loss)?

• Options

@CSUrunandstun said:
    OK>...thanks again. So no way to remove/reduce the stain?....what about the best way to just get the tape off... (hopefully without paper loss)?

Its going to be difficult. Try heating the card a little. I would suggest taking a piece of paper and laying it on top of a lamp shade(light on). Put card on top of paper and leave for 30 sec to one minute. The attached link shows using an iron. There are other demonstrations at the links on the side.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QKd5UpafQbc

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

thank you JC!

• Options

That's an interesting video. Any idea what that tool with the eraser looking thing on the tip is called? Looks like the process will result in paper loss, but still increases the eye appeal greatly

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I've never done it on a card, but I've used a blow dryer to get the label off an old Sports Illustrated. I just went really really slow so I didn't rip the cover and when it was all said and done, unless you knew exactly where to look, you couldn't tell there was ever a label on it.