Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

$5500 is my guess

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 2:11PM

Jason...

I'll say north of $5500...like $7500. There are no 9s for any 1964 series...8 is the highest graded...and it is a Mantle series. I think the wax is hot right now...fueled by the '55 Bowman cello Mantle pull at this year's National.

mint_only_pls
  • fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

My original guess was 3,000. Didn’t realize that unopened was this hot.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 3:25PM

I’d be surprised if it went north of 5k

I’m also hoping to get a 71 before things get out of hand!!

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

Things aren’t out of hand already?

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Things aren’t out of hand already?

Considering that PSA 8 Mantles from that year are selling for around $1,700 on Ebay, I would have to agree with that.

Yea, we all get it that it's a POP 1, but still without the potential value of the cards inside, it's just a $25 wrapper...to me anyway.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 4:37PM

It will easily eclipse 5K.

A pack like this one has more to do with the scarcity and grade of the pack itself versus the potential value of its contents.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention ;)

@grote15 said:
    It will easily eclipse 5K.

A pack like this one has more to do with the scarcity and grade of the pack itself versus the potential value of its contents.

Yes, you are right, to a degree. In my view when the best card that the pack could possibly yield in the same grade as the pack is worth $1,700 and you say it will easily eclipse 5k and i don't doubt your opinion on this as I do consider you to be an expert on unopened packs. I just think at some point and perhaps that point has been reached, that the price has gotten out of hand, even taking the unopened pack value into consideration.

Frankly, i doubt very much that suddenly there is a fast growing number of unopened pack collectors out there, as cool a hobby as that is. I agree with others that the main driving force in the unopened vintage pack price increases is the "hope" that there could be a PSA 9 or 10 Mantle sitting in that pack.

As you stated in another post somewhere, (paraphrase) the grade of the unopened pack doesn't necessarily correspond with the card grades inside the pack. There is the possibility that a PSA 9 or 10 Mantle could be inside that pack, even though the pack grade is only an 8.

edited August 24, 2018 9:52PM

I believe there only are fifteen (15) PSA graded 1964 5-cent packs that states that it is printed in the U.S.A (this excludes 1-cent packs and the 4-card printed in Canada packs). It is the lowest number of any 1960s 5-cent packs. Second lowest number (printed in U.S.A.) is 1967 at nineteen (19).

mint_only_pls
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I believe there only are fifteen (15) PSA graded 1964 5-cent packs that states that it is printed in the U.S.A (this excludes 1-cent packs and the 4-card printed in Canada packs). It is the lowest number of any 1960s 5-cent packs. Second lowest number (printed in U.S.A.) is 1967 at nineteen (19).

Maybe in your next post you should say it's rarer than the Wagner so I will need to set my snipe for 5 million to ensure I will win it

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:
    Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention ;)

Now that's kind of funny.

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Mike
    edited August 27, 2018 6:46PM

It continues to climb towards $6000...and beyond (my $7500 hammer price may not hold)? There are a lot of eyeballs here (163 watchers). Snipe high if you want to reel in this prize pack!

mint_only_pls

That Vintage Breaks might be in on the bidding.

$2,000 a slot coming soon?

This will be fun to watch tonight. I will have my popcorn ready...to the moon '64 wax pack!

mint_only_pls

I wonder how many folks from that time are saying to themselves, "Damn, i shoulda collected baseball cards instead of stamps."

In case some don't know, mint postage stamps from that time are basically selling at or sometimes below face value.

Before it was slabbed they could have replaced the 5c sign on the pack with a 5k sign. ;)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

That indentation on the lower left of the pack kind of ruins it for me.
    If I owned it that would be the first thing I saw every time I looked at it.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

disappointing close...

mint_only_pls
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018 9:04PM

@mintonlypls said:
    disappointing close...

Nearly 6K is still a very strong price and a lot more than this pack was worth a couple of years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Very strong price indeed! Great guess by coinspacks at the beginning. Now comes the hard part. Getting the pack to the winner without damage from the gum moving around. Hope there are no problems in shipping.