Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on this Clemente RC

"Looks under-graded" is spot on. Says there are no creases. Wonder why it was graded so low? Might be some scuffs and light stains on the back, but man, that looks good for such a low grade.

Thoughts?

https://ebay.com/itm/1955-Topps-164-Roberto-Clemente-RC-HOF-CENTERED-SGC-3-5-NO-CREASES/362419586752?hash=item5461e406c0:g:tRUAAOSwaeJbfciJ

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Has to be something big that I can't see in scan. That card appears to look perfectly suited for a 6.5. Question is, why wouldn't seller cross to PSA?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 9:12AM

I don't believe the no creases. Starting between 'Clemente' and 'OUTFIELD' on the front moving up/left across his face, lines up with what I see on the back too.

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

I'd say the sharpness in color on the front and yellowing on the back
    I ve got a 25 card Sub of 55 Topps that should be back soon
    so it will be interesting to see the results,

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I don't believe the no creases. Starting between 'Clemente' and 'OUTFIELD' on the front moving up/left across his face, lines up with what I see on the back too.

Good eye. I see that now. Sure looks like surface ripples or a spider web-type crease. Interesting. I see it on both sides.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Good eye. I see that now. Sure looks like surface ripples or a spider web-type crease. Interesting. I see it on both sides.

Since it lines up on both sides, that's why I'm leaning toward a crease rather than a surface wrinkle that typically only affects one side.

Are the SGC grader notes live yet? Or is that something only the submitter can see? This is where they would come in handy to confirm.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Since it lines up on both sides, that's why I'm leaning toward a crease rather than a surface wrinkle that typically only affects one side.

Are the SGC grader notes live yet? Or is that something only the submitter can see? This is where they would come in handy to confirm.

Not sure about the SGC online stuff. Checked their site and didn't see anything. I know they said there would be a photo of the card so you could verify its the same one they graded, but not sure if the grader notes would be available with that too.

Do you think it would do any good to contact probstein and tell them it sure looks like creases? I don't think I am interested in buying one with creases even though the centering and the rest is pretty nice. I'm curious to see what it closes at.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Not sure about the SGC online stuff. Checked their site and didn't see anything. I know they said there would be a photo of the card so you could verify its the same one they graded, but not sure if the grader notes would be available with that too.

Do you think it would do any good to contact probstein and tell them it sure looks like creases? I don't think I am interested in buying one with creases even though the centering and the rest is pretty nice. I'm curious to see what it closes at.

Yeah, I was trying to find it a few days ago just to check and see what they looked like, but didn't have any luck even finding a sample.

Worth a shot trying to contact Rick.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

A very simple thing: Anytime I card is graded low by a TPG there is almost 99% of the time a legit reason... Just b/c you can't see it on a scan almost guaranteed in hand you will see a MAJOR isseu. It doesn't grade that low on accident

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Looks like the corners were flattened out.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Who/what is "SGC"? Are they new to the TPG world? I had not heard of them or there reputation. That said, a low-level TPG would normally give a higher grade than the card deserved. I have no clue why the card received a seemingly low grade.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be some kind of moisture damage of sorts.

I once acquired a large lot of 1960 Topps baseball which I saw raw. When scanned, they looked like really nice 6 to 7 type cards, but in hand to me they looked awful...warped, etc. Probably from many years of being stored in a damp basement or whatever.

I bought the lot relatively cheap, put them up on Ebay raw, listed the star cards individually, clearly mentioned the water damage, and got positive feedback and no returns. And made a nice profit.

But whatever the reason for the grade on this particular card, I think by seeing this card in hand, it would be much clearer why it's a 3.5.

Anyone looking to buy this card for cheap, thinking it can be cracked, resubmitted, and receive a much higher grade, in my opinion is likely to be very disappointed. But good luck if that's what ya decide to do. :)

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@59Horsehide said:
    Who/what is "SGC"? Are they new to the TPG world? I had not heard of them or there reputation. That said, a low-level TPG would normally give a higher grade than the card deserved. I have no clue why the card received a seemingly low grade.

They’re one of “the big 3” TPGs, along with PSA and Beckett. They formerly used a 1-100 grading scheme but have recently switched to 1-10 and new labels (this being one of those), so perhaps that’s why you don’t recognize them?

Jim

• Options

I bet this is going to be one of those cards that looks much better in the scan than it does in your hand. I've been around enough to know if something kind of looks like creases on the scan/screen, its going to definitely look like creases when you get it. Looking at recent closed prices of ones graded 3.5 and 4, wouldn't surprise me if that cracks $1K with than centering.

• Options

@burghman said:

@59Horsehide said:

They’re one of “the big 3” TPGs, along with PSA and Beckett. They formerly used a 1-100 grading scheme but have recently switched to 1-10 and new labels (this being one of those), so perhaps that’s why you don’t recognize them?

I know SCG is one of the top three TPG's, but this card appears to be graded by "SGC". Did SCG change to SGC?
    Jim

• Options

OK, my fault. SGC is "Sportscard Guaranty Corporation". I was thinking SCG was Sports Card Guaranty which is totally incorrect. I apologize for the error of my ways. This is what happens when you get old (maybe even a bit senile).
    Jim

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2018 1:18PM

@59Horsehide said:
    OK, my fault. SGC is "Sportscard Guaranty Corporation". I was thinking SCG was Sports Card Guaranty which is totally incorrect. I apologize for the error of my ways. This is what happens when you get old (maybe even a bit senile).
    Jim

No sweat - their abbreviation has always confused me, too, as I don’t think of “Sportscard” as a single word...

Jim

• Options

Closed at $1,536.

Wow!

• Options

Trimmed maybe?

Look at the bottom of the card.

The top is pretty much against the side edge of the slab.

The bottom seems to veer at angle.

I'm pretty sure that grading company bypasses "trimmed" cards.

If it wasn't trimmed, then why didn't the owner have it slabbed by one of the 3 most reputable grading companies out there?

And then to have it consigned by one of the hobbies leading eBay sports card sellers?

That alone should have brought red flags and was fishy from get go...

C'mon guys. It's pretty obvious.

Retired Disabled Vet (Army). Corps of Engineers.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@LarkinCollector said:

That will not bring this card to a 3. I can guarantee that.

It's obviously trimmed and that company obviously doesn't care. They may not mention it anywhere on the slab or in there notes, but I'm sure as hell their standards are to grade it regardless and just lowering the grade for that reason alone.

If it wasn't trimmed, that's a higher grade in the 6-7 range easily.

• Options

1- Its not trimmed
    2- That is a crease
    3 - It WAS graded by one of the three reputable companies - that is their new slab

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is proof that SGCs new label is confusing the hobby. Multiple people on the thread did not recognize the card as graded by them.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    This is proof that SGCs new label is confusing the hobby. Multiple people on the thread did not recognize the card as graded by them.

I was thinking about making this comment or starting a thread about this. There have been other threads where posters didn't recognize the label either. I couldn't believe that label is what they changed to and thought was better. It looks really generic and "rinky dink". I wonder if they have gotten this feedback - that people are confusing their product for some company that has no legit reputation? I know collectors will get more familiar with them as time goes by, but having people not recognize your product isn't good for them or consumers either. That label change isn't going to get them market share from PSA and BGS/BVG imo.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    1- Its not trimmed
    2- That is a crease
    3 - It WAS graded by one of the three reputable companies - that is their new slab

Lol. My bad. Totally missed that.

Either way, i still think it looks trimmed.

I tried to identify it the best i could.

Maybe I'm wrong and need to check my vision out.

• Options

Saspursfan78,

I get what you are pointing out, I just don't believe that is evidence of trimming. The same thing can be pointed out on the top and bottom border. The picture is just sitting tilted imo. Its also common for cards of that era to not be exactly rectangular. I am no "expert" by any means, and I could be wrong. I know grading companies "miss things", and shaved cards have sold for tremendous prices before the alteration was discovered, but I don't think this is one. Again, could be wrong.