Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 UD Griffey Hologram Question

maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that PSA is strict on the holograms when grading the 1989 UD Griffey. Here are a few that have portions of the hologram missing, anyone have experience to know how they would grade out?

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason,

FWIW, I went to ebay and checked on the extant PSA 10s and found a few with the partially missing hologram. So, I guess it's possible to get a 10 with part of the hologram missing. I'm assuming everything else has to be dead on to get that 10, though. I have a few with the partially missing hologram, too.

Andy

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 9:07PM

My lone BGS (sorry) 89 UD Griffey has a partially torn hologram. It received a surface grade of 8. I would be surprised to see a PSA 10 with a hologram that has any damage, but it sounds like ahopkins fond some. As new, the hologram has some natural rounding of the corners.

Here is my PSA 10 Griffey. Nice hologram.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy snaps! I didn't even realize this occurred. I will be checking the 4 or 5 raw I have tonight. Thank you.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • I believe the hologram damage is very common with any Griffey from a factory set.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sportscardstop said:
    I believe the hologram damage is very common with any Griffey from a factory set.

Is that why the factory sets go for so cheap?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.