Home Q & A Forum
Options

1916 S Buffalo Nickel Die break or Post Mint Damage ?

Can anyone say if the reverse is damage post mint, or a specific error ?
I though it was a die break, but after days of searching can't find another like it anywhere.
And the gouge is not something I have seen before in that it was made while the coin was hot.
You have my full attention if you can tell me what this is & if it enhances

or negates the value of this coin.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 2:02PM

Looks like a lamination error. Metal is peeling away from the surface. probably hurts the value for most collectors.

• Options

thanks for your feed back. I to thought it was a lamination but after a while
    it seemed to me nothing was peeling but in fact a large piece of the field was gouged
    and the lines where the hot metal came thru the die break are then easier to see.
    I guess I was hoping someone else had seen a piece of a broken die, gouge metal like this.
    What at first looks like peeling is actually flow. And that is the smaller peel looking areas but the large one just isn't peel its the result of something gouging the field and by the balls of metal it had to happen when the die cracked but if I am even close why can't I find an example ?
    Thank you for looking and replying really
    niaf

• Options
    edited August 22, 2018 3:06PM

Die breaks are raised on a coin. I see nothing raised except for the peeled back part of the lamination. The "flow" I see is the sharp split in the surface that runs down the back of the Bison. Neat coin. IMO, you'll never find one like it as this type of error is usually unique! Good luck with your future "finds."

• Options

If these photos will post I hope you can see what at first looks like a peel is actually a cud of sorts in that it is metal on the coin not peeling from the coin and there is a much better picture of that coming but in this one you can I hope see what looked like a crack is actually a struck through ? Or a crack that has great flow lines ?
    This photo if you can orientate
    it is not easy with just a photo. The die crack is easy to follow if you have seen the whole coin so if you can see it please notice where it ends/begins yes up in the C & A of AMERICA in the reverse legend and ends in the rear hoof. No peels just extra metal forced down into the coin under enough heat to cause the molten effect. But just like I can't identify what it was struck through I also can't figure out the gouge... It to is molten and I think it is missing a piece which clung to the die face ?

Really Really if you recognize anything please share. This isn't the hardest one I have ever
    tried to solve but I am down to workin on a mystery with out a clue .

• Options

I've already told you what you have. I suggest you post your question on the US coin forum so others can convince you. I have no further comments except for you take nice images. :)