Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Classic Silver Commems - A detailed ( if imperfect) look at the decline in values

ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it might be interesting to take a look at some detail on the descent of values of classic silver commemoratives over the past 29 years since the peak in mid-1989. I have a "Bluesheet" from July 2nd, 1989. I'd rather use a Graysheet, but I don't have one. The Bluesheet gives bid prices for PCGS certified coins. My basis for the 2018 value is the PCGS price guide, which reflects estimated selling prices; so the comparison isn't ideal. The price decreases are understated somewhat, since today's bid prices would be well below the retail value. All values are for a coin in a PCGS holder graded MS65.
I selected 10 coins at random from each of three value tiers; High-Tier (above $5,000 in 1989), Mid-Tier ($1,250 - $2,500 in 1989), and Lower-Tier (less than $1,000 in 1989). I inflated the 1989 bid price by 102.577% using the official CPI inflation calculator published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in order to convert 1989 dollars to 2018 dollars.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Comments

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Wow. Nice work this chart is super interesting! That is a scary drop off in value in about 30 years. What are some guesses as to the cause of this downward spiral?

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

It would also be very interesting to see the population stats from 1989 vs. 2018

Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested in seeing what the Grade Population on the coins had been 89 vs present and also how many Hoards had been released. I would say that it might be a combination of factors.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. For what it's worth, the price drop is MUCH WORSE than that. PCGS price guide is well above bluesheet (and market). Even grey and blue sheets overstate market prices for most of the commems.

Running down your top tier (August blue sheet values): Isabella $1080, Lafeyette $3300, Alabama $505, Columbian $205, Grant star $2880, Hawaii $2500, Missouri $960, Monroe $400, Panama $900 , Sesqui $960

That's a Bluesheet total of $13,690 which is a 94.3% drop

• Options

Keep in mind that the 1989 values I used aren't retail prices (like my 2018 values). They are "Bid" values. Retail prices would have been even higher. The difference may not have been too significant, however, since the Bluesheet Bid figures I used are strictly for PCGS-certified MS65 coins, while the Greysheet prices would have been for coins grading MS65, but not necessarily certified. The Greysheet may even have been lower, who knows. I sure wish I had a copy of a July 1989 Greysheet.

Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

• Options

It would have been a combination of factors, I'm sure. Even if the certified pop growths weren't widely known in 1989, the price spiral would have pulled a lot of the coins out of the woodwork & into the market. As the price escalation continued, fewer potential buyers would have been willing/able to continue buying. At some point, it was inevitable that the tipping point would be reached.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great data, I appreciate the work MS71.

What a shame. I remember a member here wrote a book about the subject, boy was he wrong.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    Great data, I appreciate the work MS71.

What a shame. I remember a member here wrote a book about the subject, boy was he wrong.

I stand corrected I think his book was about modern stuff.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I am sorry but the coin market just isn't thriving or growing. I switched my focus to Trading cards over 5 years ago and I have done much better. The trading card market is HOT!

• Options
    edited August 22, 2018 12:45PM

jmlanzaf wrote:

Running down your top tier (August blue sheet values): Isabella $1080, Lafeyette $3300, Alabama $505, Columbian $205, Grant star $2880, Hawaii $2500, Missouri $960, Monroe $400, Panama $900 , Sesqui $960
    That's a Bluesheet total of $13,690 which is a 94.3% drop

jmlanzaf - If you'd care to PM me, or post here, the current Bluesheet values for the coins in the other two tiers, I'd be happy to update the worksheet & post it here. I don't have a current Bluesheet. It'd be a much cleaner comparison.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

What a drop, they have to hit bottom at some point.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

With only 2 points in time, one doesn't get much of a feeling as to how (all at once or continual) or when the drop occurred.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2018 12:06PM

Have a look at this thread for a nice chart showing the decline over time:

[https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1004174/classic-silver-commems-continue-their-price-cascade#latest]

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try 1989 vs 1994 and you'll see most of the decline happened over those 5 years. And of that decline, much of it probably over a much shorter timeframe.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m planning to start collecting these in 10 or 15 years!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

When investment funds realized how small and specific the "rare coin market" is, they pulled out and prices collapsed for all but the really scarce coins.

• Options

The real question is what are we collecting right now that forum members will be looking at 30 years from now and making the same observations and jokes?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be interesting to look at the Commemorative 1936 Philippines 3 coin set consisting of 2 one peso coins and 1 fifty centavos coin values for the same time frame. There is a chance that these coins tell a different story. And that story is worth it's own thread at a later time.

As a starting point, I doubt many would disagree or argue that 1936 was one if not the peak year of the classic commems

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

No doubt of decline in value. MS65 is 1989 might be MS66 or MS67 holder now, grading standards are much different now.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ManifestDestiny said:
    The real question is what are we collecting right now that forum members will be looking at 30 years from now and making the same observations and jokes?

McDonalds tokens.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Good point about gradeflation. That'd be a tough one to try and factor in.

• Options

@ms71 said:
    Keep in mind that the 1989 values I used aren't retail prices (like my 2018 values). They are "Bid" values. Retail prices would have been even higher. The difference may not have been too significant, however, since the Bluesheet Bid figures I used are strictly for PCGS-certified MS65 coins, while the Greysheet prices would have been for coins grading MS65, but not necessarily certified. The Greysheet may even have been lower, who knows. I sure wish I had a copy of a July 1989 Greysheet.

Generally speaking, Greysheet is always higher than bluesheet. Even back then we knew about gradflation.

• Options

@ms71 said:
    I thought it might be interesting to take a look at some detail on the descent of values of classic silver commemoratives over the past 29 years since the peak in mid-1989. I have a "Bluesheet" from July 2nd, 1989. I'd rather use a Graysheet, but I don't have one. The Bluesheet gives bid prices for PCGS certified coins. My basis for the 2018 value is the PCGS price guide, which reflects estimated selling prices; so the comparison isn't ideal. The price decreases are understated somewhat, since today's bid prices would be well below the retail value. All values are for a coin in a PCGS holder graded MS65.
    I selected 10 coins at random from each of three value tiers; High-Tier (above $5,000 in 1989), Mid-Tier ($1,250 - $2,500 in 1989), and Lower-Tier (less than $1,000 in 1989). I inflated the 1989 bid price by 102.577% using the official CPI inflation calculator published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in order to convert 1989 dollars to 2018 dollars.

Blue sheet 65 for the following:
    Albany -$190
    Antietam-$490
    Bridgeport -$115
    Cincinnati -$300
    Delaware -$180
    Gettysburg -$580
    Lynchburg - $160
    New Rochelle -$260
    1920 Pilgrim -$115
    Robinson - $95

Total $2485

low tier:
    Boone - $115
    Columbia - $170
    Iowa - $82
    Norfolk - $250
    Oregon - $160
    San Diego - $85
    STone Mountain -$105
    TExas - $140
    BTW - $22
    Wash-Carv - $32
    Total $1161

• Options

Part of it is grade inflation. The big part of it is the spike created by all those investment packages that blew up pretty quickly. The slide in the last 10 years has been very gradual as the linked chart shows.

• Options
    TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

https://www.greysheet.com/Publications/Library

Those who want to take a look at the 1989 grey sheet...or any other historical grey sheet.....should be able to access the above link.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Gradeflation has been around forever. One would be amazed looking at coins listed in catalogs from the early 20th century and how the exact coin grades today! Coins graded fair or good then are now fine, VF, or, better.

• Options

OK - thanks to jmlanzaf, I now have the price figures for the 30 coins in the worksheet from the August 2018 Bluesheet. Here's the updated chart, now a cleaner comparison. The "wild card" is the gradeflation experienced over the 29 intervening years, the coin graded MS65 in 1989 would almost certainly grade higher now.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for working this Early Commemorative Coin Matrix. From the late 80s to late 90's there was a club for early commemorative coins. All the major early commem people were part of it. In the end, they did not have enough support, behind the scenes to keep it active. They assisted in keeping coin prices high.

photo CT_Fall_1989-Cover  AA.jpg

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent work @ms71 .
    I love studying charts like this,
    Thanks.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinallyHere said:
    It would also be very interesting to see the population stats from 1989 vs. 2018

Could not agree more.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 4:21PM

I think their change in price is due to three things.

First, supply is not actually higher but with the Internet, it’s easier than ever to find one these.

Second, demand is lower. Basic economics says a small drop in demand can equate to a large drop in price.

Third. Gradeflation. Coins previously sold in a 65 holders now live in 67 holders. Compare these prices and it’s a different story.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:43PM

That’s funny - a Psycic told me in 1989 - “sell everything in July” in relation to a coin market investment question.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@BryceM said:

First, supply is not actually higher but with the Internet, it’s easier than ever to find one these.

Second, demand is lower. Basic economics says a small drop in demand can equate to a large drop in price.

Third. Gradeflation. Coins previously sold in a 65 holders now live in 67 holders. Compare these prices and it’s a different story.

66 probably. 67...not so sure. But even then, the story is not much different just less depressing. A 67 Isabella Blues at $6100 which is still just barely over 50% of the 1989 65 price.

Lafayette in 67 is a winner at $65,000

But then Alabama in 67 is $15,000 still of 25%. Etc.

And prices are down about 50% from 2007. A 65 in 2007 is NOT a 67 today.

Down is down, just a question of how much.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

Good points. @ms71 what if you factored in a gradflation assumption, what would the differential then look like?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:

@BryceM said:

Good points. @ms71 what if you factored in a gradflation assumption, what would the differential then look like?

Honestly the gradeflation is not as big an effect as you think. I mean, it has an affect, certainly. But, most of the drop was over by 1995. So, that is less connected to inflation although it may correlate to pop increases. The big issue there was the collapse of the investment schemes.

The second drop started about 10 years ago, so again the proximal cause of that drop is less tied to some kind of massive grade inflation.

The only way to really know would be to track a set of specific coins. Not every 65 in 1989 is a 66 today much less a 67. You still see OGH that don't CAC. So, as fun as the numbers are, they aren't real numbers. But the graph makes the trend clear, whether the "real" drop is 95%, 50% or just 25%.

• Options

Here's the Morgan dollar chart for comparison. You'll note the big collapse of the tulip bulbs at the same time that corresponds to about 2/3 of the price decline in the commems. The Morgan's are flat over the last 10 years vs. the commems.

You don't even want to see this graphed against the S&P 500 over the same time frame. Please, please, please consider your coin collections a hobby not an investment. IF you "make money" (factoring in inflation an lost opportunity costs) great. But that is never a given and a lot of fun has been lost with unreasonable expectations.

• Options

PCGS 3000 Index. Note that it is essentially unchanged sine 1985!

• Options

Here's a winner! Key dates and rarities. But even that is flat since 2005

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Modern commemorative coins had just come back in 1982. Public couldn't get enough of them. It was only natural there would be nostalgia for the old commemorative coins.

• Options

The public looked at these as investments. They drove the price up not collectors. They lost interest in classics commemorative coins around the same time they stop buying modern ones.

• Options

@RWM said:
    Modern commemorative coins had just come back in 1982. Public couldn't get enough of them. It was only natural there would be nostalgia for the old commemorative coins.

It wasn't just commems. Scroll up.

• Options

@RWM said:
    The public looked at these as investments. They drove the price up not collectors. They lost interest in classics commemorative coins around the same time they stop buying modern ones.

And, the all important question: how many collectors were there in 1982 and how many are there now? ANA membership is down 25% in the last 10 years alone.

• Options

. > @jmlanzaf said:

@RWM said:

And, the all important question: how many collectors were there in 1982 and how many are there now? ANA membership is down 25% in the last 10 years alone.

I guess where I'm going with this is there was outside money weighing heavily on the market. Collectors didn't buy 7 million Statue of Liberty Silver Dollars because they liked the design. The reintroduction of commemorative coins/Hunt brothers, along with other factors brought new awareness and money into the hobby helping create the bubble. When no quick profit was found, it left. Leaving only collectors behind who of course want the higher end coins. Hence supporting the key dates and rarities.

Great information on your charts. Thank you for sharing.

• Options

How have the prices moved for the classic gold commems? Is it similar to the silver commems?

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting discussion, thank you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file