Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short and sweet trip. Went to the show Wednesday and a couple of hours Thursday morning. Drove in from the Albany NY area. Drive is not too bad if you avoid the rush hour traffic around NYC. I stayed with family outide of the city. Morning drive into the city center had some traffic, but surely nothing compared to New York. Plenty of garages to park, prices aren't too bad if you can get in before 9. The convention center is massive. Takes up multiple city blocks.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a reasonable amount of world and ancient for sale at the show. Maybe not quite the level of NYINC, but it was there. The big guys were there (CNG, HJB, etc) but several smaller dealers made the trip from Europe, and hopefully their show experience was worth it.

This is a short report so I won't go into too much detail. Met up with fellow board members @EVillageProwler, @Stork, @superpsychmd. Always nice to hang out with collecting friends.

Bought two coins, both from Shanna Schmidt:

Secondary phase Anglo-Saxon sceat ca. 710-725
Mint: Kent
Series K
Type 33
S.803
O: Bust right facing cross
R: Lion right with long serpent tongue

The sceattas of series K represent a highlight of Anglo-Saon artistic merit. The figure on the reverse was long thought to be a wolf, but is now believed to represent a lion.

Ex- Shanna Schmidt, Triton XXI (lot 1353), Dr. JDR, SNC CIII

Secondary phase Anglo-Saxon sceat ca. 710-725
Mint: ?Essex
Series S
Type 47
S.814
O: Female centaur
R: Clockwise whorl of four wolf heads with interlocked tongues

Originally called series "S" for "Sphinx", the creature is rather a female centaur.

Ex- Shanna Schmidt, Triton XXI (lot 1373), Dr. JDR, CNG 53 (lot 2230)

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

A question I meant to ask you two...how do you pronounce sceat and sceatta? This was one area not covered in the ancient's class and I forgot to ask there too.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, love them both!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    A question I meant to ask you two...how do you pronounce sceat and sceatta? This was one area not covered in the ancient's class and I forgot to ask there too.

Both are pronounced SKEET, and the correct spelling is SCEATT (pl. SCEATTAS).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I was curious.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice. Thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3