Home Sports Talk
Options

Can you believe this is now a penalty in the NFL?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-players-just-upset-new-tackling-rule-everyone-else-180615401.html

NFL players are just as upset about new tackling rule as everyone else

Check out the video of the sack.

What is the NFL doing?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018 10:44PM

That's terrible. It will be a long season if they call it like this.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

the NFL is circling the drain at warp speed

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

New rule in the NFL

From now on 2 handed touch of QB'S is a tackle

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

none of the videos play for me, but I will say this: it's training camp. that means what is happening now is what happens every year, the referees tend to go overboard flagging new rules that the players don't really understand. maybe it's worse this year but in the past, with the catch rules and everything else it's always confusing. it will change in the regular season.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait till you see the new catch rule :D

• Options

It's not the QB's fault for this following new terminology from the NFL, but they just changed the penalty wording of "roughing the passer" to "roughing the pansy." :/

• Options
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's preseason. The refs are adjusting. They are calling anything close. They like coaches will go back, look at tape and adjust. This is fair warning that booming hits will be flagged. You'll see some flags but not the flag happy times right now.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-flagged-for-new-roughing-the-passer-rule-on-questionable-play-freaking-everyone-out/

Pasted:

Here's the full rule:

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as "stuffing" a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player's arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

• Options

I was never a fan of the "Tuck" rule and I ain't defending this, but I think it was called because the defender turned somewhat and drove his right shoulder into the QB. they do everything they can to protect a QB and it has changed the game. it is my argument for why guys like Otto Graham would flourish today and(please don't get mad at me) that guys like Tom Brady would more than likely already be retired if they had played in the 50's. the game was more physical due to the rules in place. there are actually fans today who don't know they used to play with leather helmets and no face guard, but I digress.

perhaps the only modern QB who would have flourished 'back in the day' is Big Ben Roethlisberger. the guy is an old school beast

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-flagged-for-new-roughing-the-passer-rule-on-questionable-play-freaking-everyone-out/

Pasted:

Here's the full rule:

A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as "stuffing" a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player's arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight.

So Tom Brady can play until he is 50 then. :D He won't even need the concussion water or the powdered deer antler potion , or need to add the endangered black rhino horn essence to his morning avocado tea

• Options

@keets said:
    I was never a fan of the "Tuck" rule and I ain't defending this, but I think it was called because the defender turned somewhat and drove his right shoulder into the QB. they do everything they can to protect a QB and it has changed the game. it is my argument for why guys like Otto Graham would flourish today and(please don't get mad at me) that guys like Tom Brady would more than likely already be retired if they had played in the 50's. the game was more physical due to the rules in place. there are actually fans today who don't know they used to play with leather helmets and no face guard, but I digress.

perhaps the only modern QB who would have flourished 'back in the day' is Big Ben Roethlisberger. the guy is an old school beast

Also strengthens the argument of Montana over Brady for QB GOAT, as Montana began his career around twenty years earlier than Brady.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they continue to kneel during the NA and then play pussball ....... I may be just out of the NFL for good!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    If they continue to kneel during the NA and then play pussball ....... I may be just out of the NFL for good!

XFL coming in 2020, although i haven't heard about it lately.

It's just too bad we all here don't have an extra billion to start our own league.

I would want the Philly franchise. i'd call the team the Philadelphia Collectors. ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    That's terrible. It will be a long season if they call it like this.

m

Or for some of us...a short season.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

you are all hot air. You are not going to turn the games off. :D Its not as if you are even a fan of a good team , you can stop watching anytime you won't miss a thing. :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

you are all hot air. You are not going to turn the games off. :D Its not as if you are even a fan of a good team , you can stop watching anytime you won't miss a thing. :D

Dimeman carries thge curse of being a "fan". All of us have been bitten at one time. Living 100 miles from the closest NFL franchise has made turning off the tv easy.

Only pro team in town is the college team....well it is a pro team for everyone but the players.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

You'd only be hurting yourself B)

• Options

why is it that there are Laws --- Federal, State and Local --- spelling out that money doesn't have to be involved if something of "value" changes hands, but the College players aren't really being paid?? here's what I have thought for probably 20 years now:
    High School = amateur.
    College = professional.
    NFL = entertainer.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2018 6:44PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:

As I recall, Larkin, when playing in London, the NFL'ers stood for the host flag and kneeled before the US flag.

If those are the type of athletes that you want to spend your Sunday afternoon rooting for, good for you. I will pass.

https://youtu.be/dN9hA7J79VI

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they are looking at tweaking it already. Thank goodness

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2018 8:34PM

Preseason is always an expeerimental phase for the officiating. I recall similar instances in previous years with new rules, too. As it is, there's a flag on virtually every other play.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:

As I recall, Larkin, when playing in London, the NFL'ers stood for the host flag and kneeled before the US flag.

If those are the type of athletes that you want to spend your Sunday afternoon rooting for, good for you. I will pass.

I seem to recall Dimeman telling me the same in another thread where I mentioned I don't watch NFL any longer and have dropped out of all my fantasy leagues. My Sunday afternoons are now spent on more time with the family and yard work.