Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Giveaway---------Winner in final post

Okay, time for a giveaway..........mainly cause there's not been one in awhile, and also because this board has been kind of quiet overall lately.............coins included in giveaway to be determined(I might hit a coin shop this weekend) but will contain a mix of US and World Coins.

Since tomorrow is Fathers Day and yesterday was Flag Day........to enter, simply tell a memory you have of your father, or a memory of a loved one who served the Armed Forces of the US.(Any branch, any time period, Reserve, Nat Gaurd, or Active Duty)

Winner to be drawn around 9 PM EST Sunday Night.

Good luck all!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    My father served in World War II in India and China in the U.S. Army. He helped plan flight schedules. He was really quick at spotting the planes, and was called "Old Eagle Eye". I 'd love to have the chance to enter your giveaway! Thanks image

Susan

• Options
    bgmanbgman Posts: 473 ✭✭
    My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. He really loved to collect coins.

He would pick me up on Saturday mornings and we would go to the bank and get $25 woth of pennies to search for Wheaties, we never did find the 09-S VDB, but those were some of the best times of my childhood.

He has been gone for almost twenty years, but I still have his coin collection, and a lot of great memories from searching for the "big one."

Randy
  • Options
    My grandpa was in WWII in the military
    brianjr
    Brian
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    My Dad was a waist gunner aboard B-24 Liberators flying out of Italy in WWII. In my recollection, he has talked about his wartime experiences with me only a handful of times. He was wounded in the war, and lost a few friends, and I always got the impression from him that talking about his time in service brought back memories that were painful. I respect him for his service to our country and for the sacrifices, both physical and mental that went along with it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    My grandad (opa) was in the germany army in WWII he faught for the Germans. On my trip to germany to see family I havent seen 22 years. I saw him for the first time in like 8 years and he is in very bad shape.
    Then there is my American grandad he died about 10 years ago he was also in WWII he was in the 5 wave on D Day. When my opa and my american grandad met it was kinda weird because we didnt know how they would react towards each other. But it worked out very well the got along very good they both realized that the war was in the past and thats where it need to stay. They got along fine and everything worked out in the end. All good memories image

I also server in the army from June 23 1988 to June 1993. Yes I served in Desert Storm and opperation Just cause.

Oh ya enter me in your drawing
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when my dad embarassed me in front of my friends... oh... wait... he's done that a lot! image

Thanks for the chance!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I memory of my father? Well, I remember when he left when I was about 11, as for the Armed Forces...I have proudly served 10 years, 1 Month, 22 days.

There you go...
    Thanks for the chance,
    Ray
  • Options
    A story my father told me about when he was in Korea, He was a Master Sargent, and him and a Private was working on a Bulldozer, and the private was in the seat, and my Dad noticed a Korean plane gliding in with the engine off, my Dad told the private to get off the dozer and they took shelter, the plane dropped a bomb and it blew up the dozer, anyway about this time a fresh from the states 2nd LT, was watching all this and he was such a you know what that he brought the private up on charges for deserting his post, anyway when the thing went before the officers my Dads Testimony got the private off, but unfortunantly because of some of the words my Father used in there got him busted back down to private. About the LT, he was moved to a rear area and my Dad told me that he heard some guys really took offense to his methods and unfortuntly he spent a few days in the base Hosp. Moral of the story, abuse of power will always come back to bite you in the----well you know.

What have you gotten your father for fathers day, if the lord willing and they are still living. I got mine a 1927S peace dollar because that was the Year he was Born.image
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
    My dad served in the Navy during peacetime, so I don't have any war stories to share with you, but I will tell you that growing up he was always there for me, and although he will never read this, I feel compelled to say it. I love you dad!
    Rich
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, there's a long history of military service in my family. My uncles served in Korea (one in navy, the other marines), my grandfather in WWI (army), and we have sufficient documentation for relatives who fought in the Civil War and the American Revolution. In fact, my great aunt traced and found that Robert E. Lee is a relative of ours. Patriotism has never been a problem in our family. Some of the things I've learned from them include dignity, honor, and standing up for what is right. Those are traits I carry deep within my soul and I am grateful for them. My neighbor and I are the only ones in the neighborhood with an American flag.

Neil
  • Options
    Well, loved one serving in the military...

My father-in-law was in WWII on Normandy Beach and also helped to liberate a concentration camp. Not sure which one because he doesn't talk about it much, but he did.
    My father was supposed to go fight in Vietnam, but was honorably discharged before shipping out bacause he had an infant son at home. Lucky for me because if he had shipped out, who knows if he would have made it back to create me.

Memory of my dad...

Growing up, I was a real trouble maker. I was always back talking my dad and not doing what I was told. Anytime I got in trouble and was sent to my room, I always slammed my bedroom door. Dad kept telling me he was going to take my door off the hinges and throw it out. I never believed him. Well, one day I was sent to my room and as usual I slammed my door. Not 2 minutes later, dad comes trecking up the stairs with a hammer and screw driver. He proceeded to remove my bedroom door from it's hinges and toss it on the front lawn where it sat for about a month. When he did put a new door on my room, I had learn not to slam it again. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    My Uncle Bob
    He was in the Air Force and was stationed in the Phillipines with his wife and two children. They were there almost 4 years. Every couple of months we would get a letter from my aunt. She would tell about the servants they had,local people and how wonderful they were. One letter she told us how she couldn't hang her laundry outdoors because the people there would steal things right off the line in broad dayligh. Then we got a letter telling us they were on their way back to the states and would we pick them up at La Guardia in NYC. I was only 10 years old then. My family and I lived in a nice house in Conn. My room was upstairs . When you got to the top of the stairs the bathroom was straight ahead, then one door down to the right was my bedroom and then one more door to the lright was the spare bedroom. My mother thought they would be the most comfortable in my room . I was used to getting up in the night to go to the bathroom and only going down the hall to the next door on my left, the bathroom. So having been moved to the spare room sorta messed things up a little because the next morning when my Uncle Bob went to put his very shiny black shoes on he let out a holler that resonated through the entire house. He said "Who the hell pissed in my shoe"? I'm not sure but I think it was me. It was full to the rim.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I'm probably too late, but here's a story anyway.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. One of them drove a tank, and was part of the first waves in on D-day. Anyway, about six months ago he was telling about how they had stopped for a rest and climbed out of the tank in an area they thought was secure. They got hit with a grenade, and my grandfather was thrown into a dried up creek-bed, unconcious. The enemy troops didn't find him, and he came to a couple hours later. When he climbed up the bank, he could see enemy patrols but since they didn't expect to see anyone he was able to sneak around them and meet up with his unit. He still has the shrapnel in his back from that one. Doctors decided it was more dangerous to try and remove it that to leave it there. I saw him again about two weeks ago. 78 years old and still kicking!
    Small cents - ain't they beautiful!
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay.........sorry its a bit later than the proposed 9PM, but heres the winner..............

NWCS Please PM me with your mailing address and I will get the package assembled and in the mail to you. I still have no idea what I will include in the package, but it will be a decent mix of US and World Coins. Gonna hit a local store Tuesday.

Hey, RareDeal..........My grandfather was a tank driver as well, do you happen to know which batallion he was in? My Grandfather was in the 70th Tank Batallion, and was wounded during the D-Day invasion. Would be interesting if they had happened to be in the same unit.
    imageimage

• Options
    No, I don't. I'll try and find out.
  • Options
    I just emailed my dad to find out, but he doesn't know for sure.

My grandfather was in Italy and came up through Rome. He claims to be the first American into Rome, but had to pull back so Patton could have his photo op. I'll have to ask my grandfather directly.