Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Day 2 of ANA WFoM 2018

Today started inauspiciously because my friends and I got up late and went out the room at around 9:20am for a JRCS meeting that started at 9am. It was a cool talk about early US bust half metal content. Imagine the challenges the early mint officials had with having to prepare planchets at .8924 at first, then .9000, and make sure that the precious metal value actually .50.

Afterwards, met up with @Nap and walked around the floor looking at some nice British material from CNG as well as from our British guests. Some observations: for the heavier pieces, like silver Crowns, central detail matter a lot on pricing; the British don't seem to care much about luster on those coins but we Americans do care; and, E1 Crowns were oddly well represented, with E6 and C1 next; despite the availability of C1 Crowns, they're very hard to find in GVF or better with choice surfaces.

Met up with an American dealer who specializes in Anglo-Saxon material, but after a while declined to purchase anything (even though I was sorely tempted to buy one to three pricey pieces).

LatAm material seem plentiful, though I did not make additional note of that stuff since I kind of not care.

Aside from CNG and Atlas, I didn't see much choice German States material for retail sales. Seems like Kuenker and Schulmann were there just to make a presence, and Philip Kapaan and Dirk Loebbers were there to buy.

I really didn't see anything outstanding in German States or Italian States elsewhere on the floor, not even at Karl Stephen's or Jim Elmen's tables.

Went to Charles Davis' booth and bought two books: 2015 Spink book on Ireland, Scotland, et al.; and, a new arrival, the 2017 MIR Vol1 on Papal States. Super psyched about both!!!

Met up with @Stork and the three of us (with @Nap) went to lunch at the Reading Terminal Market, where I got a pastrami on rye all for myself. Yum!!!

Walked around some more after lunch, then suddenly felt super exhausted and went back to my hotel room and crashed until dinner time and met up with my niece for dinner in Chinatown.

After dinner I spent some time preparing for the Thursday morning SB world auction session, where I have several lots of interest.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments