Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help identifying and pricing

A friend contacted me this evening looking for help with these notes. I not a currency expert and was hoping to get some help with grades and prices. I will be doing research on them as well, but figured some of you may be able to help me right away. I will get to look at them this weekend and hopefully upload some photos of the backs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

The last one (Bank of the United States $10000) is a modern 'parchment' reproduction with no significant value. The others seem real as far as I can see (at least they do not seem to be that parchment stuff) but I do not know enough to say more.

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

@element159 said:
    The last one (Bank of the United States $10000) is a modern 'parchment' reproduction with no significant value. The others seem real as far as I can see (at least they do not seem to be that parchment stuff) but I do not know enough to say more.

Okay, I figured that one was a reproduction. It looks like the portraits are too dark. Plus I’m just going off of photos sent to me.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two genuine notes are the Confederate $20 and Wiscasset Bank, ME $10, which failed. The other three obsoletes are circulating counterfeits from this early time period. The Bank of the US $1000, #8894, is a modern copy with no value.

The Wiscasset note is probably to most valuable, worth perhaps $50-$100 if not significantly torn. It was issued when Maine was still part of Massachusetts. The bank continued to issue notes after Maine achieved statehood in 1820, only to fail later. That's why genuine notes are somewhat available on this bank but not really common.

The tears and missing pieces on the others are likely to limit their value with the Cheshire Bank worth $20-30 due to missing lower left corner and the others probably $5-$20 each.

The counterfeits are what tends to survive from banks that were good and redeemed anything genuine that they issued. These particular counterfeits are the ones that typically show up from these respective banks and are identified by their inferior engraving quality.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.