Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Day 1 of ANA WFoM 2018

Got here around 9:30am to do lot viewing. Driving here wasn't so bad. Took slightly over one hour. The lots at SB really needed in hand inspection, since I rejected nearly all of them after viewing. I also found a few that were quite nice that I initially did not show interest.

Caught up with a light side buddy and split a pastrami on rye (which was awesome!) at the Reading Terminal Market, then it was around 1pm (general admission). I made a beeline to CNG's table and acquired a major piece (filled one of my remaining holes):

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelberht. 858-865/6. AR Penny (20.5mm, 1.22 g, 6h). Inscribed Cross type (BMC i). Canterbury mint; Hunræd, moneyer. Struck circa 858-864. + ΛEÐELBEΛR(HT) REX, draped bust right / HVNR/ED/ MO/N/E/T/Λ in and around the arms of a beaded cross. Naismith C192a-b; SCBI 1 (Cambridge), 536; BMC 37; North 620; SCBC 1053. Good VF, deep cabinet toning.

Ex M. Lessen Collection, purchased from Dave Hess, June 1967.

It's a very handsome piece in hand, of good metal and with minor encrustation on the reverse.

After that, I looked at more stuff at CNG's table and another piece caught my eye very much that I almost bought that too. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Chatted up VE for a bit too, in lieu of my main guy at CNG (who is on vacation!).

After that I wandered a bit and casually looked at several other dealer inventories before leaving around 2:30pm for home to help my wife get ready for our party tonight.

All in all, a long day of coins, a short day on the floor, and a major acquisition for me.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.
    Wish I was there.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 6:55PM

It turns out that I forgot something from Tuesday: I won lot 20640 from the SB auction, and didn't realize it until @Zohar sent me a message congratulating me.

GERMANY. Teutonic Order. 1/4 Taler, ND (ca.1615)-CO. Hall Mint. NGC MS-63.

KM-38. Continuous legend on obverse. Ideally detailed with gray tone in the open fields and outlines of brilliance around portions of the design. As wholesome as they come.

@Yorkshireman said:
    Thanks for the report.
    Wish I was there.

Thanks.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my own picture of the SCBC 1053 (the hi-res image really brings out the verdigris!):