Home Q & A Forum
Options

I need help! Trade dollar 1878s

Hi all collectors,
I’m seeking for your great help and comments.
Have you ever seen this chopmarked (JAW) in your coins collection? Most chopmarked were randomly chop in Chinese/number/symbol, but rare aligned at the centre.

Anybody in US can help to check this in library? I’m in Asia, my local library didn’t have such reference book.

Appreciate your great help!

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe if you do the Google in the region the coin is from, there might be a lead to a merchant or business. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2018 8:30AM

Better to call this a "Countermark." No I have not seen this one.

PS The terms "Counterstamp" and "Chop Mark" are used to describe marks made to coins for other reasons.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Better to call this a "Countermark." No I have not seen this one.

PS The terms "Counterstamp" and "Chop Mark" are used to describe marks made to coins for other reasons.

Thanks for your help!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chop mark but a counterstamp. Privately done, and with individual punches so virtually no chance to identify who did it.

• Options

Isn't there a trade dollar with a counterstamp listed in the Professional Edition of the Red Book, 5th edition? You may want to check that. Maybe I'm confusion it with a different counterstamp, which is always a possibility.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the right foot of the A appears different or unique. Maybe that's a clue to follow. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Wjpmill said:
    Isn't there a trade dollar with a counterstamp listed in the Professional Edition of the Red Book, 5th edition? You may want to check that. Maybe I'm confusion it with a different counterstamp, which is always a possibility.

Thanks for your suggestion! I wish I can go to US check this out in rest of my life.

• Options

If you need me to check it today I will.

• Options

@Wjpmill said:
    If you need me to check it today I will.

Am I too late to read this message!?Appreciate your help!