Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

RIP Don Bailey

I just received this from the Mexican Numismatic Society:

Don Bailey passed away quietly at his home in Hemet California surrounded by family.
He will be laid to rest in the family cemetery in Jackson Michigan with full military honors.
He is survived by his wife Lois and three children.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 3:25PM

Mr. Bailey was an excellent excellent gentleman in all respects. I was fortunate to sit down with him at his table at CICF on several occasions and he told me many good things that a coin collector should know about Mexican coins and about the hobby in general. I later saw him at ANA in Rosemont, but those visits were briefer. The hobby is very fortunate that he and Whitman collaborated on two volumes of Mexican coin books. My condolences to his wife and family.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed, he was a great numismatist. Rest in peace.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad that his and Lois' magnum opus the Whitman Encyclopedia of Mexican Money was able to be published in two volumes so recently, invaluable references for aficionados of the various series. I extend my condolences to Lois and other survivors. A great man.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

I'm shocked to see this. Don was instrumental to me as an 8-year-old who loved Mexican coins, but new nothing about them. With his guidance I put together a gem 20th century type set by the time I was 15. He was always generous, kind and patient. We need more dealers like Don in the hobby. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Numismatic Asset Management
    "helping rare coin buyers avoid critical mistakes"