Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Crossover Question(s)

Have you, are do you know of someone that has sent a crossover to PSA with a minimum grade and actually received a higher grade? I doubt this has ever happened but wanted to ask. Maybe it has. When you do send a crossover do you specify a minimum grade or do you just take your chances. Trying to decide whether to send a card in as a crossover or just break it out. Thanks!

Comments

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I have never had success asking for a higher grade and crossing, but I have had it cross equal. I have not personally had it cross higher than my minimum requested, but I know others have.

You can always try to cross it at same grade first and if it does then you can review it for a bump. You can also crack it if it doesn't cross.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe in the crackout if you have skilled hands and can do it without damaging.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Believe in the crackout if you have skilled hands and can do it without damaging.

This.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

my buddy just showed me pics of recent crossovers, some were BGS 7.5's and got PSA 9's upon return. Not sure if min grades were selected though.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    my buddy just showed me pics of recent crossovers, some were BGS 7.5's and got PSA 9's upon return. Not sure if min grades were selected though.

If you can, find out the particulars. This type of info is what we need.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

Wow, would love to know the details on this. Vintage?, Modern? Most vintage BGS/BVG 7.5's I've seen aren't even PSA 7 quality. SGC does much on vintage IMHO.

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

The T206 Demmitt St. Louis PSA6 (Pop 2) Cert 16993796. was once a Beckett BVG 4. It has significant paper loss under his shoulder. I have seen the card when it was graded in 2008 by Beckett in hand. That to my recollection was one of the most significant bumps grade and value wise.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that was a crack-out and not a review/crossover.

@secretstash said:

@dictoresno said:

If you can, find out the particulars. This type of info is what we need.

I don't believe these were his, he found them somewhere and they may not have been crossovers, but may have been crack and resubs. not sure....

myslabs.to/smzcards

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 10 years ago I had a card cross from SGC to PSA at 2 grades higher than I expected. I did not crack it out and I put a PSA 5 as minimum grade and it crossed over to a PSA 7. It was an SGC 84/7, but I thought it was over graded and would have been fine with a PSA 5, but surprisingly it came back a PSA 7. So it has happened.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

The cards pictured are all crack/resubs. If you crossover, they don't send you back the labels from the previous slab.

edited August 16, 2018 11:56AM

@MrHockey said:
    The cards pictured are all crack/resubs. If you crossover, they don't send you back the labels from the previous slab.

when I recently crossedover two BGS 9.5's to PSA 10's, they sent my BGS labels back in a card saver to me in the box. however yes, im sure these were crack and resubs. however it does show how lower graded BGS stuff could indeed "cross" to a much higher PSA grade.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 9:31PM

@MrHockey said:

I recently did a cross over and they did return the bgs label back to me. Maybe this is a new thing.

That Durant is awesome!

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Good to know! I’ve never had a label returned before. You learn something every day.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, a stunning orange refractor!!!!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018 8:42AM

I assume there was a value bump on the Durant. How big a score was that?