Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unusual Find

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was asked to looked through, evaluate, a collection of coins that haven't seen the light of day in a couple decades. Most of the stuff was US silver and the like but this item was in the collection.

Not sure what it was used for, perhaps like a opium dollar? Anyone know what the value would be?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 7:44PM

I have a piece that is constructed very similarly (but has no feet). With the little feet on each side, I would suggest that yours was intended as a portable frame for photographs. This is conjecture, but "sitting up" as a frame, the coins are oriented properly. The legs are a little off, but perhaps the leg that is most off is a repair/replacement (it is different than the other three). Showing some wear, it would seem that your piece also traveled as a pocket piece.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost certainly a photo frame.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say the legs stabilize the edges to stand open as a frame. Nice find for an 18th century piece. Have you authenticated the item to be 2 real coins? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture frame was my guess too. Interesting piece.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

that looks pretty neat, i like

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing.

I love it!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does stand on edge like a photo holder.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Worth far more as it is than the two MTTs used to make it.