Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Worst player whose cards are valuable?

While packing up a '65 Uecker that I sold on Ebay, this thought came to me. Any other players who are valuable that were pretty lousy or is Ueck the king?

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Check out prices for a
    Topps 1952 Tony Bartirome card

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    Check out prices for a
    Topps 1952 Tony Bartirome card

Tony who Al?

Had to look at one up - not sure why he was only in ML BB 1 yr and appeared to be out?

He did stay in the majors for years as a coach and stuff.

Wonder if he got drafted in the Army back then?

Are you back from safari?

Mike
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Try buying a 1963 Larry Burright or Steve Dalkowski.

• Options

Some 62 commons are in 4 figures.

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Paul Molitor. Thank goodness for Alan Trammell.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Namath

• Options

@handyman said:
    Joe Namath

That’s funny.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnny Moore....

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Namath

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Namath was not a great player for the vast majority of his career, but he did have a great moment

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're going to throw Joe Namath out there in this, which I disagree with as an example, especially because Joe is in the Hall of Fame. Well then Roger Maris qualifies for this example a lot more than Namath.

Maris had one spectacular year, two pretty good years, and the rest were fairly mediocre.

Roger Maris is one of my favorite players of all time, and many others are fans as well, which of course is why his baseball cards sell for high prices. However his total playing career is what it is.

• Options

another.
    Jack kemp

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Still in Africa Mike. The 52 Bartirome card recently cracked the top 10 in price for 52 cards. Hoarder at work. If you need one to complete a set you will likey pay more for it than a high number card in the same condition. There are a couple of threads regarding it on 54

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought Andy Pafko was a superstar because he was typically mentioned as one of the cards in the '52 set.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    If you're going to throw Joe Namath out there in this, which I disagree with as an example, especially because Joe is in the Hall of Fame. Well then Roger Maris qualifies for this example a lot more than Namath.

Maris had one spectacular year, two pretty good years, and the rest were fairly mediocre.

Roger Maris is one of my favorite players of all time, and many others are fans as well, which of course is why his baseball cards sell for high prices. However his total playing career is what it is.

Namath had quite a few great moments.

No argument that his career was cut short because of injuries, but he had many great moments.

People that post on these threads would be much wiser if they would pick up an athletes biography and read it instead of only looking at statistics.

Maris' problem is that he hit all those home runs in 1961 and got labelled a slugger. He was a superb all around ballplayer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Tom Brady because, well, he fumbled the ball!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

No argument that his career was cut short because of injuries, but he had many great moments.

People that post on these threads would be much wiser if they would pick up an athletes biography and read it instead of only looking at statistics.

Maris' problem is that he hit all those home runs in 1961 and got labelled a slugger. He was a superb all around ballplayer.

Well with Maris, I'd say sometimes superb. But the Yankees got rid of him, even though he was a popular player, and did his historical thing just five years earlier. So he couldn't have been too superb.

Despite his popularity and historical feat, Roger never even sniffed the Hall of Fame, and I don't recall him being seriously considered for selection by the veterans committee.

Hey, i don't wish to denigrate Roger Maris, just telling it from the perspective as to his baseball cards being considerably higher in price based on his overall career, compared to similar stats of other players. Roger being a New York Yankee of course also helps in that regard.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Topps-Jackson-Todd-481-PSA-9-MINT-PWCC/401532998697?hash=item5d7d3b5429:g:NDsAAOSweIla7TZM

1978 Topps Jackson Todd I remember going for 2k in a PSA 10. Just looked and it is now a Pop 6.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Koosman

His rookie card is way over priced!

:D

• Options

@clarke442 said:
    Jerry Koosman

That's because Koosman helped the Mets win the 1969 World Series, an amazing achievement considering the history of the New York Mets up until that time.

Koosman's rookie card value has nothing to do with the other guy on the card, Nathan Ryan, or Nolan Rynberg or whatever, I forget his name. ;)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@clarke442 said:
    Jerry Koosman

That's because Koosman helped the Mets win the 1969 World Series, an amazing achievement considering the history of the New York Mets up until that time.

Koosman's rookie card value has nothing to do with the other guy on the card, Nathan Ryan, or Nolan Rynberg or whatever, I forget his name. ;)

It's actually Lynn Ryan, Jr. I think maybe they called him by his middle name, though.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:

@BALROG said:
    Can't say lousy, was of course pretty dang good, but for the value of cards compared to actual player, it's by far Mantle who has the biggest lopsided mismatch.

Career .200 hitter with 14 total home runs. Not "pretty dang good" by any measure.

Lynn Ryan, Jr. had a career .110 average with only 2 homeruns, but somehow kept a job for 27 years and his cards are popular for some reason.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide/baseball-card-values/1982-fleer/1265

1982 Fleer #576 John Littlefield "Pitching Lefty" Error

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Well with Maris, I'd say sometimes superb. But the Yankees got rid of him, even though he was a popular player, and did his historical thing just five years earlier. So he couldn't have been too superb.

Despite his popularity and historical feat, Roger never even sniffed the Hall of Fame, and I don't recall him being seriously considered for selection by the veterans committee.

Hey, i don't wish to denigrate Roger Maris, just telling it from the perspective as to his baseball cards being considerably higher in price based on his overall career, compared to similar stats of other players. Roger being a New York Yankee of course also helps in that regard.

Not saying Maris is a HOFer but was a very good all around player.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

John Rutherford

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Anyone for Bo Jackson?
    His cards are top value in several 80s sets. His new inserts sell like hot cakes. Tons of player collectors, but...

Wasn’t he just a player that never met his potential?
    He had great years, was all-world athlete, and seemingly a nice guy. His “bo knows” campaign was huge.

But he accomplished nothing.

Well, he did suffer a pretty bad hip injury that ultimately did him in. Before the injury, he only played healthy in 4 seasons (I'm not counting '86 because he only played 25 games).

Andy

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden...they both had some good years, but imploded due to off the field issues, as well as some feeling that Gooden was overused early on causing him to lose some of his heat. His 1985 season though was impeccable.

They seem to sell well and have a northeast cult collecting following (myself included), but refuse to overpay for their stuff. I see several low pop stuff of Darryl sell very well. But any base set mainstream stuff I can’t overpay because these guys played in the overproduction era and I know there’s still hundreds of thousands of both of their cards still sealed in unopened...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:

@BALROG said:
    Can't say lousy, was of course pretty dang good, but for the value of cards compared to actual player, it's by far Mantle who has the biggest lopsided mismatch.

Career .200 hitter with 14 total home runs. Not "pretty dang good" by any measure.

The "can't say lousy" was in reference to Mickey Mantle, not Bob Uecker.

I don't think Mantle's price vs performance is a big mismatch at all. He's an all-time elite, inner circle HOFer. And his prices match that.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    I always thought Andy Pafko was a superstar because he was typically mentioned as one of the cards in the '52 set.

He was going to be the guy I mentioned - then I looked him him. Multi-time All-Star, a very good player. So not "lousy" by any means. And his cards aren't that expensive. Just one of his cards. And only in top condition.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Good call on Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden. Still very popular. I picked up a 1983 Topps Traded Darryl PSA 10 on card & PSA 10 on auto from 4SC recently.

• Options

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:

@MLBdays said:
    I have always been somewhat surprised that Bill Mazeroski got into the HOF..... merely based on his offensive numbers ... of course he hit a well known HOME RUN and I m sure he was a big leader on the team and a very good defensive infielder but those numbers offensively are very poor. Check em out.

he is one of many players who do not belong in the Hall while Gil Hodges is out.

There's no question that big home run in the 1960 WS did it for Mazeroski.

Lot of Yankees haters out there. They even made a movie about it called "Damn Yankees" LOL

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:

@MLBdays said:
    I have always been somewhat surprised that Bill Mazeroski got into the HOF..... merely based on his offensive numbers ... of course he hit a well known HOME RUN and I m sure he was a big leader on the team and a very good defensive infielder but those numbers offensively are very poor. Check em out.

he is one of many players who do not belong in the Hall while Gil Hodges is out.

Agreed. Mazeroski was no where near hall of fame material.

• Options

1990 topps George Bush.
    Never even played in the bigs!

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Lonzo Ball- I win