Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is "Calico-#" referring to?

I'm a 40+ year collector of US coins but far less experienced in the realm of world coins. Can someone enlighten me as to what the "Calico-#" listed with a coin is referring to? Is this some sort of catalog or reference guide? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It refers to "Numismatica Espanola" by Calico - a standard reference for Spanish numismatics.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    It refers to "Numismatica Espanola" by Calico - a standard reference for Spanish numismatics.

THANK YOU very much for the info.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RB1026 said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

THANK YOU very much for the info.

Sure thing! Want to share the coin that prompted your question? Lots of us here appreciate Spanish / Latin American numismatics.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Hi TwoKopeiki -

To be honest, I've noticed this notation many times on colonial Mexican coins but never thought to ask here for explanation (Duh, right?!) I was recently looking at some 8R cobs on eBay and decided to finally get an answer. I'm very intrigued by the history of the 1715 Fleet and the treasure coins that were lost.

I am always absolutely floored by the wealth of information available here and the generosity of folks, like yourself, to take a moment to share what they know with someone else. If I find something nice that I purchase, I'll share it here. Thanks again!