Home Sports Talk
Options

Today is national bowling day.

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 favorite bowlers I loved to watch were Earl Anthony & Mark Roth.
Do you bowl or have a favorite bowler?

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been 3 or four years but I have always enjoyed bowling. Lived not far from Arnie Goldman (my brother was friends with him.) look him up.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 8:41PM

Bowled in a league a few years as a kid. Went again this summer for the first time in 30 years and was terrible.

But I always enjoyed watching it.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I bowled for almost 50 years (started at age 10). I always liked Patrick Allen as I am a lefty also. My wife and I attended the 2009 Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas which Allen won. I got to talk to him, got his auto, and the wife took our pic.
    Earl is likely the best of all time and a lefty.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Mark Roth got me into bowling back in the late 70's. I played in a league recently. My highest series is a 672.
    I find it odd that national bowling day is during one of bowling's slowest months. Our local Bowling alley is closed from memorial day weekend through labor day.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bowling high game is 210, and I was in a zone that game - a "zone" for me anyway. LOL

I've had maybe 5 or 6 games in the 180's before and since, but never broke 190 again.

Bowling is certainly a lot of fun. Perhaps the only sports event where the more beer you drink during the game, the better ya get. ;)

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 2:38AM

@stevek said:

Bowling is certainly a lot of fun. Perhaps the only sports event where the more beer you drink during the game, the better ya get. ;)

No doubt people have bowled 300 games while drunk. This holds true with golf as well. People have hit hole-in-one's while drunk. So its no surprise, most people don't consider Bowlers and Golfers, as athletes.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 9:48AM

@garnettstyle said:

So its no surprise, most people don't consider Bowlers and Golfers, as athletes.

this is completely misguided. look no further than the man who is leading the PGA Championship going into the final round today. please take one look at Koepka and tell me he's not an athlete. i saw him up close a few months ago and the guy looks like he should be playing third base for some MLB team. (he was, in fact, a very good baseball player at one time.) another example is Gary Woodland -- another bomber at the top of the leaderboard who actually attended college on a basketball scholarship........but transferred to Kansas to play golf.

bigger, stronger and being supremely fit does not only apply to the major sports. if you are a sloth on the PGA Tour nowadays, you stand next to no chance. (Patrick Reed -- Masters winner -- is an exception, not the rule.)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being ripped though is not a requirement.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowling's insane! Bowling is crazy time!

Daniel
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@Barndog said:

Mookie is a hell of a bowler! And a hell of an athlete!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to bowl duck pins and candlepins...eons ago.

For those who don't know, duck pins are a mini version of regular bowling. Candlepins are slender and tall (thus the name). The big difference is with candlepins, you bowl with the deadwood laying in the lane...occasionally made for some crazy hits.

They used to have candlepin bowling on Saturday's on Boston tv long ago. I doubt they broadcast that anymore.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@59Horsehide said:

@Barndog said:

Mookie is a hell of a bowler! And a hell of an athlete!

And must have a hell of a lot of money.

I'm presuming that two lane alley is at his home. Even rich people who bowl and have a bowling alley at their home, I would guess usually only have one lane. LOL

In any event, I like the Flag and USA poster hanging on the left side of the alley. I just became a fan of Mookie. :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Used to bowl duck pins and candlepins...eons ago.

For those who don't know, duck pins are a mini version of regular bowling. Candlepins are slender and tall (thus the name). The big difference is with candlepins, you bowl with the deadwood laying in the lane...occasionally made for some crazy hits.

They used to have candlepin bowling on Saturday's on Boston tv long ago. I doubt they broadcast that anymore.

I remember the candlepin bowling show from the late 70's or so. IIRC it was on station WSBK.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    My 2 favorite bowlers I loved to watch were Earl Anthony & Mark Roth.
    Do you bowl or have a favorite bowler?

Used to bowl till some damage to the right elbow. Used to get some entertainment (?) watching Pete Weber and his antics on the lanes. Anyone remember the oldie bowling show "Make That Spare" from the 60's. Used to come on after the Friday night fights (time permitting).

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".