Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What kind of Mexican coin is this?

Comments

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I'm asking about metal content? I was told these have 10% silver??

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

The series prior to this one had 10% silver. This is just base metal. Check Krause Catalog or World Coin Prices on NGC site.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

For some reason I could not find any info on my phone. Looked up on the CPU and found loads of info....not sure what the deal was with that....smart device my foot

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper nickel, 1970s. The last silver peso was minted in 1967 if I recall correctly.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 10% silver pesos will be those dated 1957 through 1967 inclusive. The 1957 comes in two varieties, the lower mintage Constitution centennial and the higher mintage regular issue. These 10% silver pesos have just over 0.05 t oz silver each, less than a 90% silver US dime. Pesos dated 1970 through 1983 are copper-nickel and starting in 1984 they are stainless steel.

Jeff

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents went to Mexico City, Taxco and Acapulco in 1976 and the coins of 5 pesos and less were common (8.5 then-current pesos to the USD). I went to the horse races on a Saturday in Tijuana in early 1982 (perhaps 35 then-current pesos to the USD) and all the copper nickel and brass coins of 5 pesos or less were gone from circulation - there had already been stiff inflation and it later became much much worse. Even junk base metal coins rose to melt values well over their face values. Those 1984-87 stainless steel one peso coins were practically valueless/unusable as money when issued, but they made them anyway.