Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Bulk Pricing Ending Soon?

I assume PSA will introduce a new pricing structure? I noticed this announcement while preparing a order today.

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

I certainly hope not. Joe Orlando has been commenting on various threads today, hopefully he chimes in here.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, turnaround times should improve.

Arthur

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh nooo. Are they downsizing and increasing prices?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betting they are just going to be raising prices. Looks like i need to get another sub in before the wire!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 3:23PM

Months and months of no special for post 56 cards and now raising bulk pricing...

Hopefully they didn't spend months of research trying to understand the voice of the customer...

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I was hoping that the keep the current bulk prices until 2019. I need to adjust my expectations and see how this plays out.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    I was hoping that the keep the current bulk prices until 2019. I need to adjust my expectations and see how this plays out.

It's about time for some poppage too ;)

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

We are close LarkinCollector. I hear you. The new pricing should reduce some of the backlog

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Goodness I hope not. I have a good size pile of 56 and later I’d like to submit. Can’t justify bulk pricing as there are no “major gems” in there.

This remains a problem for me—- unless you have some clean older stars/new ultra rare rookies, us stuck in the middle are priced out. I think PSA is leaving a ton on the table— they could pick up a lot of this with a special of let’s say 57 to 89.

My not very valuable two cents,

Matt

• Options

@Mefer said:
    Goodness I hope not. I have a good size pile of 56 and later I’d like to submit. Can’t justify bulk pricing as there are no “major gems” in there.

This remains a problem for me—- unless you have some clean older stars/new ultra rare rookies, us stuck in the middle are priced out. I think PSA is leaving a ton on the table— they could pick up a lot of this with a special of let’s say 57 to 89.

Matt

Matt, I'm curious...and this is in no way meant as a bash to you or anyone else that is in the same situation, as I know there are several here on the boards that feel the same. But are these just cards for your own collection or cards you are looking to possibly resell? I guess my thought is that if they are for your own collection it shouldn't make a difference. The special that they do is/was only what, say $6.50? So if you are looking at a lot of 100 cards, then of course it's only a savings of $50 for the entire submission if they do a special. Lol, I know I send stuff in for my Jell-O set that isn't worth the price of submission but I like the uniformity of having them in a slab. Of course, this is a personal preference and my wife says I'm an idiot a lot...which is pretty much true. I guess I'm just curious as to what your and other people in the same situation, perspective is. I will also tell you that if you are looking to get in on a sub by the end of the month for the $7 bulk and aren't a member, I would be happy to help you out. I'm going to send in another and I have subbed for others on the board as well. I don't charge anything for shipping to PSA because, well, I'm shipping mine there anyhow. Your cost would be the $7 per card, pro-rated back from PSA then whatever shipping method you would like back to you. I also don't require you to pay until the sub has popped since I don't pay until then either. (Footnote to others reading....I love you all but I'm not doing an all in large sub for several members, lol)

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@Mefer said:

Matt

Matt, I'm curious...and this is in no way meant as a bash to you or anyone else that is in the same situation, as I know there are several here on the boards that feel the same. But are these just cards for your own collection or cards you are looking to possibly resell? I guess my thought is that if they are for your own collection it shouldn't make a difference. The special that they do is/was only what, say $6.50? So if you are looking at a lot of 100 cards, then of course it's only a savings of $50 for the entire submission if they do a special. Lol, I know I send stuff in for my Jell-O set that isn't worth the price of submission but I like the uniformity of having them in a slab. Of course, this is a personal preference and my wife says I'm an idiot a lot...which is pretty much true. I guess I'm just curious as to what your and other people in the same situation, perspective is. I will also tell you that if you are looking to get in on a sub by the end of the month for the $7 bulk and aren't a member, I would be happy to help you out. I'm going to send in another and I have subbed for others on the board as well. I don't charge anything for shipping to PSA because, well, I'm shipping mine there anyhow. Your cost would be the $7 per card, pro-rated back from PSA then whatever shipping method you would like back to you. I also don't require you to pay until the sub has popped since I don't pay until then either. (Footnote to others reading....I love you all but I'm not doing an all in large sub for several members, lol)

Fair question! I have a ton of 81 Fleer Star Stickers for a PSA graded set I am building. Really not a lot of value on the market. The balance of my submissions are various cards from the late 50s to early 80s I’ve picked up over the last few years. I enjoy picking up raw cards and seeing if I can hit some 10s. I generally sell these cards to try and do it again (I enjoy the exercise). These are cards that can make a few bucks in 10 (nothing earth shattering), at best break even in 9, and lose money in an 8. Given that, I’m a lot more comfortable submitting at the six dollar level. That price is probably a pipe dream but a boy can dream!

Thank you for the kind offer of piggy backing on a sub. I mentally just can’t stomach the seven dollar price point. Good luck on your subs and thanks again so much for making such a kind gesture!

Matt

• Options

@Mefer said:

Fair question! I have a ton of 81 Fleer Star Stickers for a PSA graded set I am building. Really not a lot of value on the market. The balance of my submissions are various cards from the late 50s to early 80s I’ve picked up over the last few years. I enjoy picking up raw cards and seeing if I can hit some 10s. I generally sell these cards to try and do it again (I enjoy the exercise). These are cards that can make a few bucks in 10 (nothing earth shattering), at best break even in 9, and lose money in an 8. Given that, I’m a lot more comfortable submitting at the six dollar level. That price is probably a pipe dream but a boy can dream!

Thank you for the kind offer of piggy backing on a sub. I mentally just can’t stomach the seven dollar price point. Good luck on your subs and thanks again so much for making such a kind gesture!

Matt

The 81 Star Stickers would be and interesting set to put together. I completely understand about the prices. I see other sticker sets in the 80's that bring little to nothing and don't get it. Some are super tough to get in high grades. I know if they jump to $8-9 per on bulk I will drastically cut back on my subs as well. I guess I might be dreaming too, but I'm wishing/hoping that if they do bump that bulk price up a buck or two, they will then go back to having a bulk sub special post 56 every now and again at the $6-$6.50 level. I guess if it were me, my logic would be that there are plenty of bulk subs coming in, if they keep coming in, great, more money. If it drastically decreases the amount of bulks subs, bam.... throw out a bulk sub special. I don't know, trying to figure this out makes my head spin sometimes. Best of luck to you with your collection!

Tim

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have been working on my bulk submission for the last 6 months, I get so distracted.... I am on item 83

• Options
    ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

Just did a bulk sub (130 cards) in the beginning of June, dropped the subs off at a card show in L.A. and got the cards back the middle of July, really unexpected turn around time, very happy :) - a rise in bulk pricing would indeed suck!

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@ArmyMan said:
    Just did a bulk sub (130 cards) in the beginning of June, dropped the subs off at a card show in L.A. and got the cards back the middle of July, really unexpected turn around time, very happy :) - a rise in bulk pricing would indeed suck!

Out of curiosity was this all the same year and set or something close?

I have a bulk order of 192 cards in from May still unpopped. They don't follow FIFO it appears.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Price of grading going up, value of cards to follow?
    I will raise the price of my commons come September.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 3:17PM

@Mickey Mays said:

There doesn't seem to be a correlation between the value of graded commons and submission fees, and i don't expect anything to change if submission rates increase. For many graded commons from the 1970s, you can find even PSA 9s for less than the cost of submission.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Looks like I'll be buying more low-end stuff off of 4SC/ebay rather than submitting. Gonna prep one last big bulk order.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Mickey Mays said:

There doesn't seem to be a correlation between the value of graded commons and submission fees, and i don't expect anything to change if submission rates increase. For many graded commons from the 1970s, you can find even PSA 9s for less than the cost of submission.

If anything the trend is away from graded commons, I can’t see values increasing. My hope is that eventually we’ll get back to the point where nice high grade commons can be found for sale raw at shows more often.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@Mickey Mays said:

If anything the trend is away from graded commons, I can’t see values increasing. My hope is that eventually we’ll get back to the point where nice high grade commons can be found for sale raw at shows more often.

You can already find a lot of real nice PSA 9 commons for sets in the 70s, at least, in the $5 range. There are exceptions, of course, but as long as larger submitters send cards in bulk at a reduced rate, we should still see graded common cards out there. That said, I've noticed a fundamental shift away from set collecting in recent years in favor of collecting HOFers and stars from the era.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Though I guess set collecting is not completely dead!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Though I guess set collecting is not completely dead!

That must be a tough one, lol..

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

I also like Mac's idea of set building grading costs. I don't build sets but I agree with his thinking. Two of my three players colelctions aren't worth anything to US collectors and wish grading fees could correlate somehow.

• Options

@skrezyna23 said:
    I also like Mac's idea of set building grading costs. I don't build sets but I agree with his thinking. Two of my three players colelctions aren't worth anything to US collectors and wish grading fees could correlate somehow.

same

• Options

Is it going to be a price increase or totally different
    Mike

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I just spoke to customer service. According the person I spoke to 100 bulk is going to $8, 10 card bulk is going away, and 50 card bulk is going up in price to maybe $10 but he wasn't sure.

Matt

• Options
    edited August 13, 2018 1:18PM

Well, assuming there won’t be any favorable specials, that just about does it for me on anything but renewal subs. I rarely have fifty cards to submit anymore, and I’m certainly not paying $20/card.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Well, assuming there won’t be any favorable specials, that just about does it for me on anything but renewal subs. I rarely have fifty cards to submit anymore, and I’m certainly not paying $20/card.

I think there will be a lot of the same sentiment but honestly, there are usually enough folks here to come together for 50-100 cards. Just have to find someone that wants to take the bull by the horns and do the leg work. Have a small group of guys(or ladies) that want to sub every few months and rotate who sends the cards in.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 1:52PM

I'm confused by the move to eliminate the 10 card bulk sub in light of the introduction of the Silver level membership. It seemed those two went nicely together in my opinion (yes, there is still a 50 and a 100 card bulk sub but as indicated above, not a fit for many).

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I think I may have just been outpriced for bulk subs. It just won't be worth it to me. There is a chance I won't be renewing. Sad.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

If it is true that they will raise the bulk rate, then maybe they come back with monthly specials that used to be the bulk rate of $7. IIRC their last monthly special was about $1 less than the bulk rate at that time.

• Options

@swish54 said:
    IIRC their last monthly special was about $1 less than the bulk rate at that time.

I think it was the same as the most expensive bulk rate.

• Options

Dude ..I was kidding about the DCS grading lol..

• Options

The more that I check back on this profile the more I think I may have to bite the bullet and do a 7 dollar bulk order. May be my last chance. At least I have a few more weeks to ponder.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mefer said:
    The more that I check back on this profile the more I think I may have to bite the bullet and do a 7 dollar bulk order. May be my last chance. At least I have a few more weeks to ponder.

That is me all the way! I am preparing as we speak.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@Mefer said:

That is me all the way! I am preparing as we speak.

Nice. Good to read at least I'm not in the boat alone! Good luck with your sub!

Matt

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 3:50PM

I bulk subbed ($7) a 129 card order for one of my PCs earlier this month and am now trying to get a 50 card bulk sub ($8) mailed by next week for various PCs. I couldnt care less about turnaround times. I want affordability for my worthless/sentimental PC registry.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not trying to be negative just don't understand what I've seen the last 8 months.

I used the smaller more expensive $10 bulk 10 card subs to send crossovers. I've yet to see a crossover special in years. Now they eliminate that and I have to come up with $500 worth of reviews ( 50 card minimum now ) instead of $100 worth ( 10 cards) ? Do they think all of us are made of money ?

I'll reserve judgment until I see upcoming changes. i sincerely hope someone who actually "collects"- not resells - starts to understand and listen to some of the viewpoints I see passionately expressed by many on this board and elsewhere.

I've yet to see one special here or at BGS that promotes modern set registry building. Not a single one by either service. Its all vintage, vintage , vintage.

I collect modern post 1980-- okay ? How about equal treatment one of these days ?? I'm a little frustrated to say the least.

Jeff

• Options

@jeffv96masters said:
    I'm not trying to be negative just don't understand what I've seen the last 8 months.

I used the smaller more expensive $10 bulk 10 card subs to send crossovers. I've yet to see a crossover special in years. Now they eliminate that and I have to come up with $500 worth of reviews ( 50 card minimum now ) instead of $100 worth ( 10 cards) ? Do they think all of us are made of money ?

I'll reserve judgment until I see upcoming changes. i sincerely hope someone who actually "collects"- not resells - starts to understand and listen to some of the viewpoints I see passionately expressed by many on this board and elsewhere.

I've yet to see one special here or at BGS that promotes modern set registry building. Not a single one by either service. Its all vintage, vintage , vintage.

I collect modern post 1980-- okay ? How about equal treatment one of these days ?? I'm a little frustrated to say the least.

Jeff

agree

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

+1