Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Most Undervalued Card????

Just curious to think what some of you may regard as the single most undervalued card....the reason this popped into my head is because I saw another PSA 8 Topps Gretzky go for a little over $300 a couple weeks back....this card should be priced much closer to the 86 Fleer Jordan since both are the king of their sport, and especially in light of the fact that there are many, many more of the Jordan card available.....I guess it is because Hockey is at the bottom of the food chain, but I still think this card is way undervalued.....I think the O-Pee-Chee would also be a good buy....my 2 cents....

Obviously there are probably many, but just curious to get others opinions....

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you about Gretzky. Why this card is as low as it is, is a mystery to me. But as you stated Hockey is at the bottom of the collecting world.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

It sure wouldn't take much for several big collectors/investors/dealers to buy up a majority of the Gretzky RCs out there, and I agree that he is underpriced. The problem is that alot of people just don't seem to care.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    Hockey seems to be hit or miss with collectors, and even when it is hit, people seem to lose interest easily because stars most often not come and go. Mike Modano? Jagr? Brett Hull? I dunno, those were a few of the top names when I collected hockey for a short time, and now they seemed to have faded away, because you don't here about them in the general media like you did before. Trades occur frequently and it is hard to keep track of some of your favorites if you are a casual fan. It is an exciting sport to watch and follow, but people get lost in the shuffle more often than not, which means it doesn't translate well in hobby terms.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Some hockey cards actually aren't that undervalued. A Bobby Orr rookie sells for a few thousand dollars in PSA 8; compare that to a Nolan Ryan rookie or even Pete Rose. Some of the 1960's hockey checklists sell for much more than their baseball or football counterparts simply because they are much rarer. The 70's seems to be the lost decade for Hockey cards.

For post 1980 cards, 81/82 OPC rookies are undervalued in Mint 9. Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, etc. These are some of the rarest regular issue cards from the 80's in high grade from any sport. You could say the same about a 80/81 OPC Messier rc, etc.
  • Options
    Dude

LOL, Marketing 101

...but a GAI 10!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Zardoz,

I got it cheap and I have this card in a PSA 10. Let's see if I can "flip it" for some cash.
  • Options
    A GAI card cheaply? I'm shocked image

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Dan,

If it were me I would have run 2 auctions splitting the 9 and the 10 ... Just my $.02

Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dan -- the PSA 9 actually looks somewhat brighter than the GAI 10. Is that how the card actually is, or is there something that happens in the scanning process (something with the holder, perhaps).
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    LuxuryWines,

That was a tough call. The reason I did this is so that it would show up in the PSA search (without it being spamming). I got it cheap in the first place by stumbling across it by accident. The card went pretty much unnoticed. If I even get a minimum bid on this auction, I'll be quite happy.

By the way, where in the hell is Elron Sanchez when you need him? imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was looking for the same thing MS, but I noticed that the black border on the left side of the photo appears to be smeared and not as full as the GAI 10. Just my thoughts...

Ian
  • Options
    Jim McGlothlin couldn't pitch in either grade.
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.