Home Sports Talk
Options

Franco Harris and Lynn Swann

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walked into my favorite Vegas steak house with my gambling buddy, Summer of 1978.

I was a die hard baseball man then and paid little attention to the NFL. Sat at the table and my friend said Holy elmo (the OFR guys will get it). That's Franco Harris and Lynn Swann! They were at the next table with let us say, company.

I knew the names and the beard looked familiar, but it was no biggie. My friend's jaw was hanging though and his eyes were big as saucers.

More impressed a year later when I met Milton Berle at the same place.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in line at Dunkin Donuts and Jim Rice was in front of me, I said hi and that was it. After he got his coffee and walked passed me he gave me a pat on the shoulder and told me to have a nice day, I always thought he appreciated me not bothering him more than a hello. Chatted it up with Ray Bourqe one quiet night at a local bar in town, and bumped into John Hannah in a liquor store in town as well.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I was in line at Dunkin Donuts and Jim Rice was in front of me, I said hi and that was it. After he got his coffee and walked passed me he gave me a pat on the shoulder and told me to have a nice day, I always thought he appreciated me not bothering him more than a hello. Chatted it up with Ray Bourqe one quiet night at a local bar in town, and bumped into John Hannah in a liquor store in town as well.

Did you tell him Dallas from the forums said he sucked?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

Did you tell him Dallas from the forums said he sucked?

m

Hahaha I try not to repeat nonsensical things like that

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Walked into my favorite Vegas steak house with my gambling buddy, Summer of 1978.

I was a die hard baseball man then and paid little attention to the NFL. Sat at the table and my friend said Holy elmo (the OFR guys will get it). That's Franco Harris and Lynn Swann! They were at the next table with let us say, company.

I knew the names and the beard looked familiar, but it was no biggie. My friend's jaw was hanging though and his eyes were big as saucers.

More impressed a year later when I met Milton Berle at the same place.

Milton Berle would definitely receive votes for comedy GOAT.

I've watched him on those old Dean Martin comedy roasts - he is funny as yell.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was staying at the Riviera where MB was opening for Pia Zadora. Debated for a couple days whether to spring for tickets as I didn't know much about the singer. Declined.

Last evening of the trip at the hotel restaurant about 8:30, Berle pops through a sort of hidden door after his act to grab dinner.

Vegas was magic back then.

Just said hello as we were leaving. Milton asked me if Dallasactuary thought he was funnier than Henny Youngman. ;)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Was staying at the Riviera where MB was opening for Pia Zadora. Debated for a couple days whether to spring for tickets as I didn't know much about the singer. Declined.

Last evening of the trip at the hotel restaurant about 8:30, Berle pops through a sort of hidden door after his act to grab dinner.

Vegas was magic back then.

Just said hello as we were leaving. Milton asked me if Dallasactuary thought he was funnier than Henny Youngman. ;)

Years ago compliments of a wealthy uncle who was a member, we had Sunday breakfast at the Friar's Club in California. I don't recall Berle being there, but a number of other famous comedians and actors were.

Best all you can eat breakfast spread I've ever seen. Best lox i've ever had.